Tarih Podcast'leri

Çivi Yazılı Bazalt Sütun, Ermenistan

Çivi Yazılı Bazalt Sütun, Ermenistan


Van Krallığı Kralı II. Rusa'nın Çivi Yazısı

Kral II. Rusa'nın bir bazalt dikilitaş üzerindeki çiviyazılı yazıtı, Hrazdan (İldaruni) Nehri'nden bir su kanalının inşası ve bu olay nedeniyle tanrılara adanan kurbanlarla ilgilidir.

Van Krallığı'nın kralı II. Rusa (MÖ 680 – 640), geçmişteki çatışmalardan harap olmuş büyük bir ülkeyi teslim aldı. Kapsamlı inşaat çalışmalarıyla ülkeyi zenginleştirmeyi umuyordu. Onun emriyle birçok şehir, yol, su boruları ve amfi kanalları yapılmıştır. En ünlü su kanallarından biri hala adını taşıyor.

Çivi yazılı yazıt, onun tarihi bölgesinin önemini belirtir:

Tanrı Haldi'ye,
Argishti Rusa'nın oğlu
Bu anıt adanmış.
Haldi majesteleri ile,
Argishti'nin oğlu Rusa şöyle diyor:
Kuarlini alanı oldu
Bakir bir toprak,
Üzerinde hiçbir şey yoktu.
Haldi'nin emriyle,
Bu bağı ben diktim,
Burada buğday tarlaları ve bahçeler yaratıldı,
Yeni bir şehir inşa etti,
Ildaruni Nehri su kanalını döşedi
Ve ona Umeshe adını verdi.
Rusa'nın bu alanı ne zaman
sulanır,
Bir keçi getir
Ve onu tanrı Haldi'ye kurban et,
Tanrı Haldi'ye bir koyun,
Tanrı Teisheba'ya bir koyun,
Tanrı Shivine'e bir koyun,
Tanrı Anik'e bir “kurban”.
Argişti'nin oğlu Rusa,
Kim güçlü bir Kral,
Dünyanın büyük krallığının bir kralı,
Van'ın kralı,
Kralların Kralı ve Tospa şehrinin kralı,
Agistti Rusa'nın oğlu diyor ki:
Bu yazıyı kıran,
Gömer, suya atar,
Onu değiştirir, güneşten uzaklaşır,
Ya da “yok et” diyor,
Bir başkasına “uyum” der,
Ve adımı siler
Ve kendi yazar,
İster Vanlı olsun, ister Lulur [düşman],
Tanrılar Haldi, Teisheba, Shivine|
onlara merhamet etme
Ve ne isimlerini ne de ailelerini bırak
Dünyada.

Van Krallığı Kralı II. Rusa'nın Çivi Yazısı Van Krallığı


Argishtikhinili – Eski Ermenistan

Argiştikhinili (bugünkü Armavir kasabası yakınlarında), Aras Nehri'nin orta kesimlerinde, sol kıyısında, Kral I.

Şehir MÖ 8-6 yüzyıllarda var olmuştur. Argiştikhinili merkez kalesinin kalıntıları, Ermenistan'ın Armavir ilindeki Nor Armavir ve Armavir köyleri arasında, Armavir'in 15 km güneybatısında yer almaktadır. Zamanla, nehir yatağı güneye kaymıştır ve şimdi Argishtikhinili'den birkaç kilometre uzakta bulunmaktadır.

MÖ 786'da saltanatının başlangıcında, Kral I. Argişti Ağrı vadisinde, Sevan Gölü bölgesinde ve Akhurian Nehri'nde birkaç sefer düzenledi. MÖ 782'de Erebuni kalesini gelecekteki kampanyalar için bir kale olarak inşa etti.

Krallığın güneybatı sınırlarında Asurlularla dört yıl süren çatışmalar I. Argişti'nin ilerlemesini geciktirdi. Ancak seferleri MÖ 776'da yeniden başladı. Aynı yıl kurulan Argiştikhinili şehri, Ağrı vadisinin merkezinde bulunuyordu ve askeri olmaktan çok idari bir amacı vardı.

I. Argishti, kroniklerinde, kentin Ar ülkesinin daha eski bir yerleşim yeri üzerine kurulduğunu yazar ve arkeolojik kazılar, kentin altındaki MÖ 3. veya 1. bin yıllara ait kültürel katmanların varlığıyla bunu doğrular.

Argishtikhinili'nin alanı dikdörtgen şeklindeydi ve genişliği iki kilometre ve uzunluğu beş kilometreydi.

Kentin doğu ve batı kesimlerinde taştan hisar-kaleler bulunuyordu. Kent bölgesinin uzun kenarları boyunca, toplam uzunluğu yaklaşık kırk kilometre olan sulama kanalları uzanıyordu.

Birkaç uzak tepeye yayılmış ekonomik bölgenin topraklarında, kentsel binalar vardı. Kentin etrafına, köşelerinde devasa kuleler bulunan tuğla duvarlar örülmüştür.

Vadinin verimli toprakları, Argishtikhinili sakinlerinin çeşitli Gramineae ve üzüm yetiştirmelerine ve ayrıca kümes hayvanları ve domuzlara sahip olmalarına izin verdi. Şehirde çömlekçilik ve demircilik de iyi gelişmişti.

Tüm Van krallığı gibi şehrin de gerilemesi, II. Sarduri'nin Asurlularla yaptığı bir savaşta yenilmesinin ardından başladı. 600'de Argishtikhinili Medler veya İskitler tarafından ele geçirildi ve ateşe verildi.

MÖ 4. yüzyılda Armavir, Argishtikhinili'nin yerine inşa edilmiştir. MÖ 331'de, Yervanduni hanedanlığı altındaki Ermenistan, Ahameniş İmparatorluğu'ndan bağımsızlığını yeniden kazandığında, Armavir Ermenistan'ın başkenti olarak seçildi.

III. Rusa'nın Argiştikhinili'de bir tahıl ambarı inşasına ilişkin çiviyazılı yazıtının bir parçası. Argishtikhinili'nin bulunduğu tepenin görünümü. 1970'lerde yapılan arkeolojik restorasyon çalışmalarından sonra Argishtikhinili kale duvarlarının bazalt temellerinin kalıntıları. Şehir içi. 1970'lerde yapılan arkeolojik restorasyon çalışmalarından sonra Argishtikhinili kale duvarlarının bazalt temellerinin kalıntıları. Şehir içi. 1970'lerde yapılan arkeolojik restorasyon çalışmalarından sonra Argishtikhinili kale duvarlarının bazalt temellerinin kalıntıları. Sulama kanalı sistemi. 1970'lerde yapılan arkeolojik restorasyon çalışmalarından sonra Argishtikhinili kale duvarlarının bazalt temellerinin kalıntıları. Argishtikhinili'nin tarım arazilerinin yaklaşık bir sınırı. 1970'lerde yapılan arkeolojik restorasyon çalışmalarından sonra Argishtikhinili kale duvarlarının bazalt temellerinin kalıntıları. Argishtikhinili'nin yıkılmasından 200 yıl sonra kalıntıları üzerine inşa edilen antik Armavir'in sınırı. Çiviyazılı yazıt: “Tanrı Haldi'nin büyüklüğü adına Menua'nın oğlu Argişti bu kanalı döşedi. Arazi eskiden ıssızdı, orada kimse yaşamamıştı. Tanrı Haldi'nin emriyle Argishti bu kanalı inşa etti. Menua'nın oğlu Argishti, güçlü kral, Biainili ülkesinin kralı, Tushpa şehrinin hükümdarı." Çivi yazılı yazıt: “Menua'nın oğlu Argişti şöyle der: Muhteşem bir kale inşa ettim ve ona bir isim seçtim – Argiştikhinili. Arazi ıssızdı, orada hiçbir şey inşa edilmemişti. Nehirden dört kanal açtım, bir bağ ve bir meyve bahçesi diktim, orada büyük işler başardım, Menua oğlu Argişti, güçlü kral, Biainili ülkesinin kralı, Tushpa şehrinin hükümdarı.” Argishtikhinili'nin şarap depolarında bulunan çok sayıda kil karaslardan (kaplardan) biri. Karases, yüksekliğinin %80'i kadar toprağa gömüldü ve yerdeki kısım, dışarıda kalan boyundan daha iyi korunmuştu. Argiştikhinili'deki bu tür karaseslerde 160 bin litreden fazla şarap depolandı. Tahılı un haline getirmek için tasarlanmış un taşları. Tahılı un haline getirmek için tasarlanmış unlu taşlar – manuel tip solda ve değirmen tipi sağda.

Türk devletinin zulmüne uğrayan Kürtler, bir asır önce Ermenilerin toplu infazında oynadıkları rolle şimdi yüzleşmeye başlıyorlar.

DİYARBAKIR &mdash Bazalt bir sütuna yaslanan genç Muhammed Enes, yaklaşan herkese tiz sesiyle sesleniyor ve Türkiye'nin doğusundaki Diyarbakır ilindeki tarihi alana daha yakından bakmanın reklamını yapıyor. "Ziyaret etmek ister misin?" diye sorar çocuk. "Surp Giragos, tüm Orta Doğu'daki en eski Ermeni kilisesidir. 3.000 kişiye sığındı ve 1915'te çan kulesi bir top tarafından yıkıldı.&rdquo

Muhammed, Surp Giragos'un harabelerinde oynamak, 2011'de restore edilip yeniden ibadete açmak için çok genç. Anadolu'nun Türkiye bölgesinin bu surlarının, bu şehrin, bu bölgenin tanık olduğu katliamları ve tehcirleri de tam olarak anlayamayacak kadar genç. , doğumundan neredeyse bir asır önce.

Yine de teneffüste çanların çaldığını duyan Diyarbakırlı çocuklar, 100 yıl önce bu hafta başlayan Ermeni soykırımı hakkında okul tarih kitaplarının onlara anlatacaklarından çok daha fazlasını biliyorlar.

Çok sık, çok erken, konu Türkiye ve Ermeni soykırımı olduğunda, Türk devletinin inkarı, toplumun tamamının inkarı olarak anlaşılır. Bu, Ermeni halkının hatırasının, uzun süre yaşadıkları topraklarda ve Türk devletiyle çatışma geçmişine sahip bir başka nüfus da dahil olmak üzere, uzun süredir birlikte yaşadıkları halkların zihninde yazılı olduğunu unutmak olur: Kürtler. .

Surp Giragos kilisesinin koruyucusu Aram Hacıkyan, “Bu bölgenin halkı bir soykırım olduğunu biliyor ve inkar etmiyor” diyor.

Aram, 1915'te yetim kalan dedesinin, Müslüman olan bir Kürt tarafından kendisine alındığını, ancak "Ermeni olduğunu asla saklamadığını" anlatıyor. Bizim ailemizde, diğer ailelerde olanların aksine bu asla bir sır değildi.&rdquo

Paris Sosyal Bilimler İleri Araştırmalar Okulu'nda araştırmacı olan Adnan Çelik, 1914'te Diyarbakır'da yaklaşık 60.000 Ermeni yaşadığını belirtiyor. "Burası soykırımın sembolik bir yeri çünkü burada Ermeniler, Kürtler, Süryaniler ve Türkmenlerden oluşan karma bir nüfus vardı" diyor Çelik.

Burası aynı zamanda, valisi Mehmed Reşid'in 1915'te "Diyarbakır kasabı" olarak ün salmış bir telgraf gönderdiği ve 160.000 kadar Ermeni'yi tehcir ve ölüme mahkûm ettiği için kendisini tebrik ettiği bir vilayettir.

Anneannesi de bir baba olan Adnan Çelik bavfilleh (İslam'a geçen Ermeniler için kullanılan Kürtçe bir kelime), geçtiğimiz günlerde Diyarbakır'daki Kürt halkı arasındaki soykırımın hatırasını anlatan bir kitap yayınladı. &ldquoErmenilerin yokluğu, burada sonsuz bir kayıptır. İnsanlar inanılmaz bir şiddet olayını dün yaşanmış gibi ayrıntılarla anlatıyor” dedi.

Genç antropolog, &ldquo başından beri hikayenin resmi versiyonunu sorgulayan, soykırımdan ve Kürtlerin bu soykırımda oynadığı rolden bahseden Kürt siyasi hareketinin oynadığı rol hakkında konuşmak için bir an durur.

kılıçla cennet

Ne kadar hevesli ve gayretli olursa olsun, Reşid, Diyarbakır'ın önemli ailelerinden ve Kürt aşiret liderlerinin aktif yardımı olmaksızın 160.000 Ermeni'yi muhtemelen ölüme götüremezdi. Bu adamlara söz verildi ve genellikle Ermeni mal sahibi idam edildikten sonra belirli bir arsa veya ev aldılar. Her yedi Hıristiyan için cennet vaad edilen Müslümanlar, kılıçtan geçirildi.

Adnan Çelik, &ldquoBurada herhangi bir anakronizmden kaçınmaya dikkat edin,&rdquo uyarıyor. "1915'te bu bölgedeki Kürtlerin milliyetçi iddiaları henüz yoktu". Soykırıma katılanlar, çoğu zaman Müslüman olarak gayrimüslimlere karşı bunu yaptılar.&rdquo

Abdullah Demirbaş, yüzyıllardır yan yana yaşamalarına rağmen, "devlet tarafından Ermenileri katletmek için yanıltılmış" bu Kürtlerden söz ederken, yüzü muzaffer görünüyor.

&ldquoDedem bana bir rahibin hikayesini anlatırdı ki, bir Kürt'ü kendisini öldürmemeye ikna etmek için, güya ona &lsquoBiz kahvaltıyız, sen öğle yemeği olacaksın.&rsquo Ve olan da bu&rdquo içini çekti.

Diyarbakır'daki birçokları gibi, yerel bir siyasi lider olan Abdullah Demirbas, Osmanlı İmparatorluğu'ndaki Ermenilerin soykırımı ile Türkiye Cumhuriyeti'nin başlangıcından on yıl sonra Kürtlerin öldürülmesi arasında 20. yüzyılın sonuna kadar bir süreklilik görüyor.

Diyarbakır'da sokak manzarası Fotoğraf: gündoğumuOdyssey

Soykırıma yardım edenlerin torunları olan bizlerin bu geçmişle yüzleşmesi, sadece borcumuzu ödemek için değil, aynı zamanda birlikte bir gelecek inşa etmek için de önemli' diye ısrar ediyor.

Diyarbakır'da çok sayıda Ermeni'nin yaşadığı eski bir mahalle olan Sur'un eski belediye başkanı için "birlikte kota gelecek" bir slogandan daha fazlası. 2009 yılında Abdullah Demirbaş, Diyarbakır belediye meclisi ve Surp Giragos Vakfı'nın desteğiyle Ermeni kilisesinin restorasyonunda kilit rol oynadı.

Kaslı ve heybetli bir figür olan Demirbaş, açılışında "neredeyse ağladığını" itiraf ediyor. &ldquoBorcumun bir kısmını geri ödediğimi hissediyorum&rdquo diyor.

Aram Hacikyan, sitenin bir kiliseden daha fazlası olduğunu söylüyor: Avrupa, Ermenistan ve Amerika Birleşik Devletleri'nden gelen ziyaretçilere atıfta bulunarak, "Bütün Ermeniler için bir buluşma noktası haline geliyor" diyor. &ldquoDiasporadaki bazı insanlar, kilisenin geri döndüğünü bildikleri için soykırımın yaşandığı Türkiye'ye gelmekten daha az korkuyorlar.&rdquo

Eski belediye başkanı Abdullah Demirbaş, daha ileri gitmeleri ve Diyarbakır Ermenilerini geri dönmeye teşvik etmeleri gerektiğine inanıyor. Bir okuldan söz ediyor ve hatta bir "soykırım müzesi" inşa etmeyi teklif ediyor.

"Türk makamlarının kendi başlarına bir şeyler yapmasını bekleyebiliriz, bu yüzden onları bunu yapmaya zorlamalıyız" diyor.

Adnan Çelik ise daha şüphecidir. &ldquoBirçok Kürt soykırımı tanıyor, özür diliyor, sonra ne olacak? Tek suçlu onlar mı?" diye soruyor. "Asıl soru, 100 yıldır bunu inkar eden devletin bu konuda ne yapacağıdır.&rdquo

Armen Demirdjian, kilisenin avlusunda, son yağmurun ardından hâlâ ıslak durumda. Ermeni kökenini 30 yaşında öğrendi. Dedesi soykırım sırasında öldürüldü. 1915'te 4 yaşında olan babası bundan hiç bahsetmedi ve Armen hiç sormadı. Ama şimdi bilmek istiyor ve dünyanın da bilmesini istiyor. "Sonsuza kadar kiri halının altına süpürmeye devam edebiliriz" diyor. &ldquoEr ya da geç, onu kaldırıp sallamamız ve herkesin görmesi için tüm pisliğin dışarı çıkmasına izin vermemiz gerekecek.&rdquo


ERMENİ ŞARABI

Dünyanın ilk şarabı 6.000 yıl önce Ermenistan'da üretildi. Urartu'da şarapçılık önemli bir rol oynamıştır. Asur kaynakları da buna işaret etmektedir.

“İstila sırasında Asur kralları listelerindeki şarap türlerini ve yıkılan üzüm bahçelerinin sayısını belirtmişlerdir. Şarap Akademisi'nde öğretim görevlisi ve “Maran” şarap fabrikasının ana şarap üreticisi Frunze Harutyunyan, onlar için en çok talep edilen tutsaklar şarap üreticileriydi” diyor.

MÖ 8. yüzyılın Urartu kralları, Ermenistan'dan “bağlar diyarı” olarak söz ederdi. Urartu çivi yazılı yazıtlar ayrıca tanrı Haldi'nin onuruna yaratılan ve dikilenlere atıfta bulunur. Üzüm ekimi bir başarı gibi bir şeydi. Ünlü tarihçiler ve bilginler Herodot, Strabon ve Ksenophon da Ermeni şarap yapımına değinmişlerdir.

Resim: Urartu dönemine ait Şarap Mahzeni

Herodot'un yazılarına göre, Ermenilerin Babil ile ticari bağları vardı ve onlara şarap sattılar. Şarapçılık kültürü, Ermeni Yaylası'ndan Gürcistan, İran, Mezopotamya, Mısır, Yunanistan, Roma'ya geçti. Herodot, o dönemde Asur'un da şarap yaptığını, ancak Babil'in Ermenistan'dan şarap aldığını kaydetti. Bu, Ermeni şarabının çok daha iyi olduğu anlamına gelir.

Ermenistan'da şarapçılığın yeniden canlanması her zaman devletin varlığına bağlıydı. Şarap yapımı, Ermenistan'ın bağımsız olduğu Bagratuni hanedanlığı döneminde bir kez daha gelişmiştir.

Pagan zamanlarda Ermenistan'da bir gelenek vardı. İnsanlar binlerce bitkiden aromalı sıvı kaynattı. MÖ 1. yüzyılda Kral Trdat'ın kraliyet sarayında yaşayan bir şarap üreticisi Pargev, bu sıvıdan alkol damıtmayı öğrendi.

Trdat, kraliyet maiyeti ve hediyeleriyle birlikte ve o aromalı sıvıyı da taşıyarak Roma İmparatoru Nero'yu ziyaret etti. Roma tarihçilerine göre, Nero sıvıyı tattığında mutlu ve keyifli hale geldi.

Efsanelerin yanı sıra, eski Ermeni şarap yapımının 6.000 yıllık bir geçmişi olduğu bilimsel olarak kanıtlanmıştır. Resim: Ermeni Heyeti Persepolis'te Büyük Darius'a şarap hediyesi veriyor

DÜNYANIN İLK ŞARAPHANESİ

Arkeolojik kazılar sırasında bulunan üzüm çekirdeği çalışmaları, MÖ 6-5. binyılda Ermenilerin yabani üzümleri adapte ettiklerini ve seçici üreme yaptıklarını kanıtladı.

Bazı etnograflar ve arkeologlar, Vayots Dzor'daki Areni köyü yakınlarında, Noravank kompleksine giden köprünün yakınında, “Kuş Mağarası”nda, Eski Taş'tan geç ortaçağ dönemlerine kadar uzanan çeşitli anıtlar keşfedilen şarap kültürü biyografisini araştırıyorlar.

Bu da orada insanların yaşadığını ve üzüm yetiştiriciliği ile uğraştığını kanıtlıyor. Noravank kanyonunun ötesinde bile orta çağ üzüm bağlarının izleri var.

2011 yılında Ermenistan'daki Areni Kompleksi'nde yapılan kazılarda dünyanın en eski şaraphanesi keşfedildi. Şaraphane 6000 yaşında.

2007-2008 yıllarında yapılan kazılar sayesinde bakır ve taş devri dönemine ait maddi kültür kalıntılarını keşfetmek mümkün olmuştur. Bunlar arasında mağaranın ilk salonu içinde kil yapılardan oluşan bir kompleks bulmuşlar.

Ermeni Yaylası yerlileri şarapçılık geleneklerini kullanmış ve korumuştur. Bu da etnik Ermenilerin Van Krallığı sakinlerinin ekonomik ve kültürel mirasçıları olduğunu göstermektedir.

Asur Kralı İkinci Sargon, Van'ın bağları hakkında şöyle der: "Üzümler yağmur gibi yağıyor, şarap nehir suyu gibi akıyordu." Bize ulaşan en eski tarihi bilgilerde şarap ve biranın çeşitli üretim tekniklerinden bahsedilmektedir. Özellikle Xenophon, Ermeni şaraplarının kaliteli, eski ve çok çeşitli olduğundan bahseder. Bağcılık ve şarap yapımının yöntem ve teknolojileri binlerce yıl önce Ermenistan'dan komşu ülkelere yayılmıştır. Arapların, Türklerin ve ayrıca Selçukluların akınları ve denetimleri sırasında birçok üzüm bağları tahrip edilmiştir.

Resim: Bu kompleks, çeşitli depolama tesisleri içerir. Orada bulunan şaraphane büyük ilgi gördü. Şaraphanenin yanında üzüm çekirdeği kalıntıları da vardı. Kazılar sırasında üzüm ezme aletleri, üzüm salkımları ve kuru asmalarla çevrili toprak çömlek ve hatta şarap içme kabı da bulundu. Araştırmalar, Areni dışında dünyada böyle bir şarap kompleksinin bulunduğu başka bir yer olmadığını ortaya koydu.

ERMENİ ÜZÜMÜ

Dünyadaki 6.000 üzüm çeşidinden yaklaşık 2.000'i Ermenistan'da bulundu. En popüler çeşitler Voskehat, Garran Dmak (“kuzu but”), Black Areni, Karmrahyut (“kırmızı meyve suyu”), Nrneni (“nar ağacı”). ), Azateni, Mskhali, Kangun, Meghraghbyur (“bal aroması”), Nerkarat, Ararat, Shahumyani, Anahit, Armenia ve şu anda Ararat vadisinde yetiştirilen Muscat kokulu birkaç çeşit.

Areni Black, yüksek, dağlık yükseltilerde yetişen, dolayısıyla son derece benzersiz tat özelliklerine sahip güçlü ve sürdürülebilir bir türdür. DNA analizi, bu türün şu anda bilinen diğer asmaların hiçbiriyle soy bağı olmadığını göstermiştir. Areni Black şarapları zarafet ve tazelik ile ayırt edilir, tipik aromalar kiraz, karabiber ve siyah çaydır. Ermeni üzümleri, son 6000 yılda coğrafi izolasyon ve geleneksel yetiştirme yöntemleri nedeniyle hiçbir zaman melezlenmemiş veya değiştirilmemiştir.

19. yüzyılda istilacı bir tür - phylloxera (Amerika'dan getirildi) Avrupa'nın üzüm bağlarını yok etti ve kıtayı neredeyse hiç üzümsüz bıraktı. Günümüzün ünlü şaraplarının neredeyse tamamı - Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, İspanyol Rioja veya İtalyan Montepulciano, Amerikan kökenlidir, çünkü kökleri direnememiş ve hayatta kalamamıştır. parazit. Ermenistan'da yerli asmalar bozulmadan kaldı. Böcek sadece yaylalarına ulaşmadı. Bu nedenle, binlerce yıldır olduğu gibi otantik, eski kökler korunmuştur.

YENİ DÖNEM

1991'de bağımsızlığını yeniden kazanmasından bu yana, genç Ermenistan Cumhuriyeti efsanevi şarap endüstrisini ülke çapında yeniden canlandırıyor. ABD, Çin, İtalya, Kanada, İsviçre, Fransa, Belçika ve Rusya, Ermeni şaraplarının büyük başarı ve yeni bir tanınma dalgası yaşadığı en büyük pazarlardan bazılarıdır. Ermeni şarapları Strazburg, Amsterdam, Şanghay, Düsseldorf ve Moskova'da çok sayıda uluslararası sergi ve yarışmada sunuldu ve çeşitli ödüller ve madalyalar kazandı. Antik Ermeni kilisesi - dünyanın en eski resmi Hıristiyan kilisesi, özel bir büyük tatile sahiptir - Üzümlerin Kutsanması ve Aziz Bakire Meryem'in Başkalaşımı. Ermeni Apostolik Kilisesi'nin 5 sütunlu tatilinden biridir. Ermeni üzümleri ayrıca binlerce ortaçağ el yazması, duvar resmi ve dünyadaki her Ermeni tarihi anıtını süsleyen tek Ermeni haçtaşı olan ünlü Khachkars'ta yer almaktadır.

İSVİÇRE'DE ESKİ VE YENİLENEN ŞARAP TADINI

"Heres Wine", altı tanınmış Ermeni butiğinin ve seçkin şarap üreticilerinin en önemli şaraplarının münhasır temsilcisidir: Old Bridge Şaraphanesi, Trinity Şarapları, Koor Şarapları, Keush Şarapları, Kataro Şarapları ve Van Ardi Şarapları. Ermeni şarap yapımının ve üzüm yetiştiriciliğinin krema-de-la-crème'inin benzersiz özelliklerini somutlaştırıyorlar ve Ermeni şaraplarının kesinlikle şaşırtıcı, tartışmasız eski ama en şehvetli tatlarını sunuyorlar.


Ermenistan Rehber Kitapçığını Yeniden Keşfetmek - Erivan

Bugünkü Ermenistan toprakları, tarihinin büyük bir bölümünde, kendine ait birkaç şehri olan bir kırsal toplumdu. Modern Erivan şehri, trajedi ve hayaller üzerine inşa edilmiştir. 1918'de bağımsız bir Ermenistan'ın başkenti olarak ilk kısa deneyiminden önce, kerpiç ve bahçelerden oluşan bir garnizon kasabasından biraz daha fazlası olan şehir, Sovyet yönetimi altında filizlendi. 1915 soykırımından ve sonrasından gelen mülteci seli, Ermeni milliyetçiliği ile Sovyetlerin Komünist müjdeyi Ermeni diasporasına yayma umutları arasında huzursuz ama verimli bir ittifakı ateşledi. Modern Erivan, bilinçli olarak, Sovyet Ermenistanı'nın büyüklüğü veya içsel zenginliği ile orantısız bir eğitim ve kültürel altyapı ile diasporanın evrensel merkezi ve cazibe direği olacak şekilde inşa edildi. Erivan ancak şimdi, bağımsızlıkla birlikte hem Ermenistan Cumhuriyeti'nin hem de uzaklardaki Ermeni diasporasının gerçekten merkezi haline geldi.

1988'de, Sovyetler Birliği'nin çöküşü görünür hale geldiğinde, Erivan tam teşekküllü, patlayan bir Sovyet şehriydi ve 1 milyon nüfusluydu. 1920'lerde ve 1930'larda mimar Alexander Tamanian ve halefleri tarafından 200.000'e ulaşabileceğini düşündükleri bir nüfus için parklar, çevre yolları ve ağaçlıklı caddelerden oluşan zarif bir sokak planı hazırlanmıştı. Bu hedef çoktan aşıldı, Erivan'ı bir metroya ve tüm Birlik açısından önem taşıyan bir şehrin diğer gereksinimlerine hak kazanan sihirli milyon kişilik eşiğe ulaşmak için genişleme süreci, Ermenistan'ın ardışık Birinci Sekreterlerini sefil çareler ve yarı bitmiş, deprem- dağınık, iç karartıcı banliyölerde savunmasız inşaat projeleri. Bugün merkez bir inşaat patlaması yaşıyor ve Alexander Tamanyan'ın bir yaya bulvarı için planları. Opera'dan Cumhuriyet Meydanı'na uzanan devasa bir proje yolda. Bu çabada Erivan'ın en eski ve en güzel küçük binalarının çoğu kaldırıldı.

1988 bağımsızlık hareketinin başarısı, önce asırlık Müslüman (çoğunlukla Azerbaycanlı Türk) nüfusun zorunlu göçü ve onun yerine Bakü'den yeni yoksullaşan mültecilerin gelmesiyle bir dizi büyük şok yaşadı. Sovyet ekonomik sisteminin feci çöküşü (Ermenistan her şeyin yüksek teknolojili parçalarını yaptı, ama neredeyse hiçbir şey üretmedi), Moskova veya Glendale'in parlak ışıklarına bağlı yüz binlerce yoksul Ermeni'nin ekonomik göçünü tetikledi. 2001 yılında ülkede 3 milyonun biraz üzerinde kafa bulunan güvenilir bir nüfus sayımı yapıldı.

Erivan şehri, sıradan ziyaretçilerin ilgisini çekecek şekilde erken tarihinin çok azını koruyor. Bununla birlikte, anonim Sovyet cephelerinin ardında, 70 yıldan çok daha iyi döşenmiş - kitaplarla, müzik aletleriyle, sanatla ve misafirperverlikle - "bak" veya avluda ya da özel dairelerde zengin ve karmaşık bir yaşam gerçekleşti ve hala devam ediyor. resmi kültür ya da on yıllık gaddar bir yoksulluk önerebilir. Şehirlerini benden çok daha iyi bilen, seven ve sunabilen binlerce Yerevantsi var, bu yüzden bu bölüm, bir tane arama fırsatı olmayanlar ve kabataslaklığı için özür dileyen kişiler için tasarlandı.

Arkeoloji (Bölüm 1)

Erivan çok eski bir yer. Hrazdan nehri geçidinin duvarlarında, özellikle modern Erivan Gölü yakınında bulunan mağaralar, Taş Devri yerleşiminin izlerini göstermektedir. Önemli Kalkolitik Şengavit yerleşimi, tüm bölgenin tarihöncesi için bilimsel olarak büyük önem taşıyan, gölün uzak tarafındaki yamaçta yer almaktadır (havaalanı yolundan, barajın karşısındaki SE yolunu kullanın, sonra sola dönün). Burada, bir zamanlar taş sur duvarları ile çevrili ve nehre giden bir yeraltı geçidi olan çok sayıda moloz ve kerpiç evin ufalanan dairesel temellerini bulacaksınız. 4. binyılın sonundan itibaren dört yerleşim evresi tespit edilmiştir. ikinci binyılın başına kadar

Doğu Türkiye'deki Van Gölü merkezli Urartu krallığı, Erivan'a ilk büyük ivmesini verdi. Urartular inşa etti Erebuni'nin kalesi =40=, SE Erivan'da bu ismin tepesinde. Eskiden Arin Berd olarak bilinen tepenin eteğindeki önemli bir müze, Urartu'nun muhteşem metal işçiliğinin birkaç örneği de dahil olmak üzere birçok buluntuya ev sahipliği yapıyor. Kalenin kendisi 782 yılında Urartu Kralı Menua oğlu I. Argishti tarafından Aras'ın doğu yakasındaki ilk Urartu fethi olarak kurulmuştur. Bunu, kapının yanındaki sur duvarına inşa edilmiş olarak bulunan çiviyazılı bir yazıt temelinde biliyoruz, kabaca şöyle bir yazıt: "Tanrı Khaldi'nin büyüklüğü adına Menua oğlu Argishti, Erebuni adını verdiği bu büyük kaleyi inşa etti. Biainili'nin gücüne ve düşmanlarının terörüne. Argishti diyor ki: toprak boştu, ben burada büyük işler yaptım. Erivan, bu 8. yüzyılın soyundan gelmektedir. M.Ö. kale. 1998'de Erivan Belediye Başkanı, Erivan'ın 2780. doğum günü münasebetiyle bir şenlik düzenledi. Herkes tarafından iyi vakit geçirildi.

Site, her zaman iyi olmasa da yoğun bir şekilde restore edilmiştir ve bu restorasyonların kendi restorasyonlarına şiddetle ihtiyacı vardır, bu da orijinal Urartu duvarlarını Ahameniş Pers tadilatından ayırmayı zorlaştırmaktadır. Her halükarda, buranın mabetleri, özenle fresklerle süslenmiş duvarları olan saray odaları ve büyük depolama tesisleriyle büyük, karmaşık bir merkez olduğunu anlatmaya yetecek kadarı günümüze ulaşmıştır. Bazalt yapı taşları üzerindeki bir dizi daha küçük çivi yazılı yazıt, görünüşe göre bir Urartu tapınağı olan bir "susi"yi doğrulamaktadır.

Erebuni'nin inşasından yaklaşık bir yüzyıl sonra, Urartu Kralı II. Rusa'nın ilk yılında, Erebuni sakinleri Teishebai URU (Tanrı Teisheba'nın Şehri) olarak adlandırılan bir kaleye taşınmış gibi görünüyor. Karmir Bulanıklığı ("Kırmızı Tepe"). Bu site, Shengavit'in mansabındaki bir blöften Hrazdan nehrine bakmaktadır (havaalanı yolundan barajı geçin, Aragats Ave.'den sağa dönün, sonra tekrar yaklaşık 1 km aşağı ve sonuna gidin). Alan adını, bazıları hala şehir surunun etkileyici taş temellerinin üzerinde duran devasa kırmızı kerpiç yığınından alıyor.

Erken dönem Ermeni kralları ve Roma ve Pers fatihleri ​​güneyde Artaxiasata'yı ve kuzeyde Vagharshapat/Ejmiatsin'i tercih etmeleriyle, Erivan'ın tarihi Karmir Blur'dan sonra kayboluyor. 1679'daki korkunç deprem, yüzyıllar boyunca Arap, Moğol, Fars ve Osmanlı ordularını geçerek yapılan yıkımı tamamladı. Yine de, hasta kaşif için bitler ve parçalar kalır.

Erivan Kalesi (Bölüm 2)

17. yüzyılda Osmanlı İmparatorluğu ile olan seferleri koruyan bir Pers şehir kalesi olarak yeniden inşa edilen Erivan, üç imparatorluğun kesiştiği önemli bir askeri/stratejik noktaydı. 19. yüzyılın başında, önce Fransızlar, daha sonra İngilizler, İran'ı Rus saldırganlığına karşı desteklemek için askeri uzmanlar gönderdi. Uzmanlıklarından yararlanan son Erivan Hanı, karargahını bir top fabrikası ve cephaneliği ile Pers İmparatorluğu'ndaki en güçlü ve en modern kale yaptı. Saray, çeşmeleri, aynalı bir salonu, Pers destan kahramanı Rostom'u betimleyen boyalı tavanları ve uygar yaşamın diğer süsleri ile büyük ve zarifti.

1804'te Prens Tsitsianov, Erivan'a karşı bir Rus ordusuna komuta etti, ancak geri çekilmek zorunda kaldı, bazı Ermeni ileri gelenleri ve uşakları onunla birlikte Gürcistan'a çekildi. Kendi davasına yerel Ermeni yardımının olmamasından rahatsız olan kibirli Gürcü prens, 1805'te Erivan'ın önde gelen Ermeni ileri gelenleri Melik Abraham ve Yüzbaşı Gabriel'e, tekrar denemesi için yalvardıklarında küçümseyici bir mektup kaleme aldı:

"Pers ruhlu güvenilmez Ermeniler - Şimdilik ekmeğimizi yiyebilirsiniz, satın alabileceğinizi umarak. Ama gelecek sonbaharda halkınız satış fazlası için yeterli tahıl ekmezse, o zaman uyarılırsınız ki, bahara kadar ben ekeceğim. peşinden sadece Erivan'a değil İran'a da.Gürcistan'ın parazit beslemesine gerek yok.Erivan Ermenilerini kafirlerin elinde ölmek üzere kurtarmak için talebinize gelince:Hainler korunmayı hak eder mi?Haydi köpekler gibi ölsünler. Geçen yıl Erivan kalesini kuşattığımda zerre kadar acımayı bile hak etmeyen Erivan Ermenileri Narin-Kale'nin kontrolündeydi (not: uzak bir burç) Onu bana teslim edebilirlerdi ama yaptılar. ve sen, Erivanlı Muhammed Han'ın baş danışmanı olan Yüzbaşı onlarla birlik oldun ve bana karşı entrikalarında ve yalanlarında hana yardım etti.Şimdi kaçtın ve Tanrı, onun iyiliklerine ihanet ettiğin için seni cezalandırdı. İmparatorluk Majesteleri Sence ben diğer generaller gibi miyim? Ermenilerin ve Tatarların kendi çıkarları için binlerce insanı feda etmeye hazır olduklarını kim bilmiyor? . Bu nedenle, Rus kuvvetlerinin ortaya çıkması üzerine kaleyi teslim etme sözü veren iki yüzbaşı ve Pers'in sözüne güvenebileceğimi mi düşünüyorsunuz? . (Bournoutian 1998'de alıntılanmıştır)

Tsitsianov, 1806'da Bakü surlarının dışında öldürüldü ve kaybına çok az yas tuttu. Geleceğin Rus liderleri daha diplomatikti ve kendilerini hiçbir şekilde Pers garnizonunun 3000 askerinden kurtarabilecek durumda olmasalar da Erivan Ermenilerini daha iyi müttefikler olarak buldular. General Gudovich 1808'de denedi ve başarısız oldu, ancak General Paskevich, bir İngiliz Savaş Ofisi özetinde anlatıldığı gibi, 2 Ekim 1827'de Erivan'a girerek başarılı oldu:

"Paskiewitch başkomutanlığı üstlenir almaz (not: 1827'de) kalesi hâlâ Perslerin elinde olan Erivan mahallesine kadar bir kuşatma treni taşıdı. Treni Erivan yakınlarında bir tabyada bırakarak yürüdü. to Abasabad, a new and regular European fortress on the banks of the Arax near Nachitschevan. This place opened its gates to him. Sardarabad, a large fortified village on a canal fed by the Arax, was next taken, and the stock of provisions found in it placed Paskiewitch in a position to commence the siege of Erivan. Erivan had already been twice unsuccessfully besieged, and was considered almost impregnable. The fortifications consisted of two walls, an outer 25 feet and an inner 35 feet high round three sides the steep cliff of the ravine of the Zangi formed a natural defense on the fourth side. Two weak detached bastions on European principles had been added since an attack by General Gudevich. Trenches were advanced under the natural cover of the ground almost up to the foot of the walls. The batteries effected a breach in a single day's firing many of the garrison deserted during the night, and on the following day Erivan was taken by assault."

Paskevich continued S to Tabriz, and forced Persia to cede all the territory N of the Arax river to the Russian Empire in the Treaty of Torkmenchay. Paskevich was rewarded with the title Count of Yerevan, and went on to further glory as the brutal suppressor of a revolt in Poland. Meanwhile, tens of thousands of Armenians flocked into the liberated territories from Persia and the Ottoman empire.

Yerevan itself remained a garrison town, but the fortress had lost its importance. When Berge visited Yerevan in January 1848, he reported that the thick, crenellated mud-brick walls of the Yerevan fortress were already deeply crevassed, dissolving in the rain as mud-brick does unless roofed and maintained. The Sardar's superficially splendid palace slowly melted as well, and had become an eyesore by mid-century. In Soviet times, the last traces of the fortress disappeared the hulking basalt prison of the Yerevan Wine Factory marks the site, though the fortress walls once extended up and down the river as well as back toward town. An inscription in Armenian on the lower wall of the Wine Factory commemorates the staging in 1827 of a play by Griboyedov, a Russian diplomat/writer in Paskevich's entourage, who was murdered in 1829 with the rest of the Russian Embassy in Tehran.

<googlemap version="0.9" lat="40.180382" lon="44.514799" zoom="14"></googlemap>

The City (Section 3)

In 1827, Yerevan was a town of 1736 low mud-brick houses, 851 shops, 10 baths, seven caravansaries, and six public squares, set among gardens likewise walled with mud. Czar Nikolai I found no more endearing description for Yerevan during his one brief visit in 1837 than "a clay pot," and the Russian travel writer Mardovtsiev found little difference in the 1890s: "Clay houses with flat clay roofs, clay streets, clay squares, clay surroundings, in all directions clay and more clay." Yerevan remained a garrison town of 12,500 inhabitants, more than half Muslim, a place of low, flat-roofed houses and lush walled gardens, until the 20th century. Practically nothing of this earlier town remains, except in Kond, tucked between Saryan St. and the Dvin Hotel on Proshian ("Barbecue") and Paronian Streets. The hill of Kond was a predominantly Armenian neighborhood in Persian times, presided over by the Geghamian family of meliks, Kond is the neighborhood that preserves a taste of the city's oriental past. Set apart for preservation in Soviet times, Kond's winding alleyways and tumbledown houses are now being razed surreptitiously to build orange tuff palaces for Yerevan's post-Soviet gentry. But a careful search still reveals crumbling archways and courtyards of an older Armenia.

The easiest access to Kond is by parking in front of the large Post office on Saryan St, and then walking uphill on the road to the left of the post office. Take a short right at the top of the road (behind the post office now) and then the first left up an alley of sorts. A quick left again on the next alley will wind you along a road of clay-walled houses and past an arch with a keystone dated 1863. Continuing around the houses, bearing left at each interestion, will bring you back to your starting point.

The Medieval Bridge (Section 4)

The decayed remnants of a four-arched bridge of 1679 stand on the Hrazdan river just below the fortress, now the site of the Yerevan Wine Factory at the bottom of Mashtots Blvd. Built just after the great earthquake at the expense of the wealthy merchant Hoca P'ilavi, this bridge (also known as the Red Bridge from the tuff used) was extensively modified in 1830 by the Russians. There had been a bridge at this site since very early times, the only connection between the city-fortress of Yerevan and the rich farmlands and caravan routes of the Arax valley.

Churches (Section 5)

In 1828 there were seven Armenian Apostolic churches in Yerevan with a like number of clergy, serving an Armenian population of perhaps 4000. Four of those churches, two of them tiny, survived the Soviet period before the grand cathedral church of S. Grigor Lusavorich was built in 2001 just E of Republic Square, only one-tenth of one percent of Yerevan's population could attend services at any given moment.

The oldest surviving church in Yerevan, the Katoghike, stands nestled in a courtyard on the W side of Abovian Street just above Sayat Nova Blvd. Its current form dates to 1936 , when the old cathedral church of Yerevan, a substantial but undistinguished basilica rebuilt in 1693/4, was slated for destruction in the name of urban renewal. The archaeologists won a modest concession from Stalin's architects, that they could oversee the dismantling and record the inscriptions and architectural fragments incorporated in the rubble walls. Lo and behold, as the walls came down it became clear that the central apse, the sanctuary, was in fact an almost intact small Astvatsatsin church with inscriptions from the 13th century. Public and scientific outcry won the newly discovered church a reprieve, and since independence it has resumed its religious function, albeit invisibly from the main streets. In front of the church is a small collection of khachkar and other sculpted fragments from the core of the destroyed basilica.

The 17th c. Poghos-Petros (Peter and Paul) church was not so fortunate, destroyed to build the Moscow Cinema. Likewise the S. Grigor Lusavorich church, begun in 1869 but not finished till 1900, gave way to the widening of Amiryan Blvd, and sits underneath the Eghishe Charents school.

NS Zoravar Church survives concealed behind apartment fronts in the block bounded by Saryan, Pushkin, Ghazar Parpetsu, and Tumanyan streets, a hodgepodge of architecture dating from 1693 (funded by the wealthy Hoja Panos) and rebuilt at various times, including by local dignitary Gabriel Yuzbashi in the late 18th c. and French benefactor Sargis Petrossian in the 1990s. According to ecclesiastical history, it sits near the site of the tomb/shrine of S. Ananias the Apostle.

In 1684, at the request of King Louis XIV to the Shah of Persia, French Jesuits set up a mission in Yerevan, goal of which was to persuade the Catholicos in Ejmiatsin to bring himself and his church into the Catholic fold. Effectiveness of Jesuit diplomacy was reduced by their habit of dying after a few months, but the second of them, Father Roux, became friendly enough with the Catholicos that when he died in 1686 he was buried by the Catholicos in the "magnificent monastery of Yerevan" next to the Armenian bishops and archbishops. When the newly enthroned Shah Hussein banned wine throughout his dominions in 1694, the missionaries mourned the destruction of Yerevan's vintage, "the best wine in the Persian Empire." Local authorities respected the extraterritoriality of the Jesuits, putting seals on the door of the Mission wine cellar in such a way that the door could still be opened. Nothing remains of the Jesuit mission, nor of the "magnificent monastery of Yerevan" that housed their mortal remains. Yerevan now has a small scholarly outpost of their spiritual descendants, the Mekhitarist fathers, whose headquarters at the San Lazarro island monastery in Venice is full of great art treasures.

In September 2001, the massive St Gregory the Illuminator Cathedral was completed in celebration of the 1700th anniversary of Christianity in Armenia. The main cathedral seats the symbolic number of 1,700 worshippers, and there are two large chapels near the entrance which are primarily for weddings. The holy remains of St. Gregory were brought from Italy in time for the opening, and Pope John Paul II came to pay an official visit shortly after the consecration.

Mosques (Section 6)

At the time of the Russian conquest there were eight mosques in Yerevan. On the capture of the city in 1827, the grateful and prudent inhabitants (both Muslim and Christian) bestowed the fortress mosque on the conquerors to serve as a Russian Orthodox church until a more suitable structure could be built for the purpose a few years later. The largest mosque of Yerevan and only one still preserved, the Gyoy or Gök-Jami, (gök means "sky-blue" in Turkish - more commonly known as the Blue Mosque) was built in AH 1179 or AD 1765/6 by the command of local ruler Hussein Ali-Khan to be the main Friday mosque. The mosque portal and minaret were decorated with fine tile work. The central court had a fountain, with cells and other auxiliary building around it, and stately elm trees. There was an adjoining hamam and school. In Soviet times, the mosque housed the Museum of the City of Yerevan. In the mid-1990s, the powerful Iranian quasi-statal foundation for religious propagation agreed to fund a total restoration of the mosque with shiny new brick and tile. This restoration, structurally necessary but aesthetically ambiguous, was largely finished in 1999. However, Armenian authorities, torn between the need to placate a powerful neighbor and desire to minimize the practice of an unpopular religion, have been slow to bless the reconsecration of the complex as a mosque, suggesting it should serve as a cultural center instead. There is supposed to have been a working mosque somewhere in Yerevan made superfluous by the 1988-91 population transfers, it burned down.

The Museums (Section 7)

There are dozens of museums in Yerevan, mostly house-museums to writers, painters, and musicians. The entry fee is minimal, and the staff are generally delighted to receive a foreign visitor. If the language barrier can be overcome, the hospitality and taste of a little-known culture will be memorable.

The best museum in Yerevan is small and idiosyncratic, the would-be final home of famed Soviet filmmaker Sergei Parajanov (1924-1990). Though an ethnic Armenian (Parajanian), he was born in Tbilisi and spent most of his professional career in Kiev or Tbilisi. He won international fame with "Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors" and "The Color of Pomegranates," but his career was crippled by imprisonment (for homosexual liaisons) and denial of resources. Under perestroika, Yerevan claimed him as its own, and built him a lovely house overlooking the Hrazdan gorge in an area of ersatz "ethnographic" buildings on the site of the former Dzoragyugh village (just behind and left of the upscale restaurant "Dzoragyugh," commonly but no longer accurately known as the "Mafia Restaurant" due to a leather-clad clientele, a mysteriously reliable electrical supply during the dark nights of 1993-95, and the occasional use of firearms). Alas, Parajanov died before the house was finished, but it became a lovely museum/memorial that also hosts dinners and receptions to raise funds. Parajanov's visual imagination and subversive humor are represented in a series of compositions from broken glass and found objects. His figurines from prison-issue toilet brushes are proof that a totalitarian, materialist bureaucracy need not prevail. Look for "The Childhood of Genghis Khan" and Fellini's letter thanking him for the pair of socks.

NS Matenadaran (manuscript library) is the other world-class museum in Yerevan, not for its exhibitions per se, but rather for its status as the eternal (one hopes) repository for Armenia's medieval written culture. A vast gray basalt mass at the top of Mashtots Blvd. (built 1945-57, architect M. Grigorian), the Matenadaran is guarded by the statue of primordial alphabet-giver S. Mashtots (ca. 400) and those of the other main figures of Armenian literature: Movses Khorenatsi (5th -- or maybe 8th -- century "father of Armenian history") T'oros Roslin (13th c. manuscript illuminator in Hromkla/Rum Qalat near Edessa) Grigor Tatevatsi (theologian of Tatev Monastery, died 1409) Anania Shirakatsi (7th c. mathematician, studied in Trebizond, fixed the Armenian calendar) Mkhitar Gosh (died 1213, cleric and law codifier) and Frik (ca. 1230-1310, poet). There are khachkars and other ancient carved stones in the side porticos. The entry hall has a mosaic of the Battle of Avarayr, and the central stair frescos of Armenian history, all by H. Khachatrian.

English-speaking guides are usually on deck. Beside the exhibit hall (and a small gift shop with excellent hand-painted reproductions of important manuscript miniatures), there are conservation rooms and shelf on shelf of storage (closed except to specialists with advance permission) for the 17000 manuscripts in a dozen languages. Cut deep in the hillside behind, and shielded by double steel blast doors, is a splendid marble tomb designed to preserve the collection against nuclear holocaust. Alas, the execution did not live up to the grandiosity of the conception -- water from a series of underground springs drips through the vaults, making them unusable until a few million dollars are found for a total reworking.

NS State History Museum in Republic Square (formerly Lenin Square) is notable for the statues of Catherine the Great (returned to Russia?) and Lenin squirreled away in a back courtyard ready for any change in the political winds. The important archaeological collection from Stone Age through Medieval periods should not be missed. Note a Latin inscription from Ejmiatsin attesting to the presence of a Roman garrison. There are some interesting models of early modern Yerevan and other historical exhibits of interest to those comfortable in Armenian or Russian.

The floors above contain the National Picture Gallery. Start by taking the elevator to the top, then descend through the huge collection of Russian, Armenian, and European works, some of the latter copies or else spoils of WWII divided among the various Soviet republics.

Accessible from the street running behind the State History Museum is the Middle Eastern Museum and Museum of Literature. The former has an interesting collection, including a carpet-weaving display.

NS Museum of the City of Yerevan has a small archaeological and ethnographic collection. It is located in the new city hall on the corner of Zakian and Grigor Lusavorich.

NS Genocide Memorial and Museum at Tsitsernakaberd ("Swallow Castle") sits on the site of a Iron Age fortress, all above-ground trace of which seems to have disappeared. The Museum's testimony to the 1915 destruction of the Armenian communities of Eastern Anatolia is moving, and the monument itself is austere but powerful. The riven spire symbolizes the sundering of the Eastern and Western branches of the Armenian people. The view over the Ararat valley is striking. More Armenian Genocide information can be found online.

Turning away from the wall of recent martyrs and gazing south, a Western Christian might muse on the 10,000 Martyrs of Mt. Ararat, who are or were still in the Catholic liturgical calendar for June 22. According to a legend that somehow made its way westward to become popular in 14th and 15th century art, 9000 Roman soldiers sent out to the Euphrates frontier with a certain Acacius were led by angelic voices to convert to Christianity. The enraged Roman emperors sent troops against them, another 1000 of whom converted when the stones they threw rebounded vainly from the pious converts. Finally, the 10,000 were subdued and crucified atop Mt. Ararat. A painting of this scene by the late 15th c. Venetian artist Carpaccio shows the persecutors in Turkish garb. Though the legend is too hopelessly garbled to link to any known historical event, and the 10,000 are not part of the Armenian or Orthodox canons, it is tempting to view the cult as the echo of one of several early Armenian cries to the West for help, help that did not come. Purported relics of these martyrs can still be found in various churches of France, Italy and Spain.

Suburbs: Avan, Kanaker, Arindj (Section 8)

The village of Avan, lying in the angle between the Sevan and Garni roads, has been swallowed up by Yerevan. Heading N past the Zoo (on the right, larger than it looks, and not as depressing as it could be) and just before the Botanic Garden (on the left, spacious and nice for walks, with some plans for redemption), take the right off-ramp for Garni, but then go straight through the intersection and turn left at the stop sign. Turn immediately right, and head about 1 km up the main road of Avan. Where the main road turns right at a modern monument and cemetery, continue straight past the intersection a few meters, then take the first left down a narrow lane. The church is about 300 m along, on the left. Like many other early churches, this one is known locally as the Tsiranavor ("apricot-colored"). Avan Church =35= (40 12.85n x 044 34.27e) is the earliest surviving church inside the Yerevan city limits, dating to the late 6th c. At a time when Armenia enjoyed competing pro-Persian and pro-Byzantine katholikoi, the Avan church was built by the pro-Byzantine Katholikos Hovhannes Bagavanetsi (traditional dates 591-603) as his headquarters, while his pro-Persian rival sat in Dvin. Multi-apsed, built on a two-step podium, the church preserves a low arched doorway but is roofless. Historian of Armenian architecture T. Toramanyan believes the church had five peaks - one in the center and the other four in the corners, over the round side-chapels. A surviving inscription preserves the name Yohan in a plausibly early style, but with no title to confirm that this commemorates the founder. The church is built on the site of previous buildings. Some restoration has been done to it in 1940-1941 and in 1956-1966, 1968. There are ruins of monastic buildings N, perhaps the modest seat of one of the katholikosates.

On a slope south of the early village, now on the edge of town, are two chapels, of S. Hovhannes and S. Astvatsatsin, with interesting carvings. Restored several times over the ages, they are believed to originate from the 5-6th centuries. They underwent major reconstruction in the 13th c., but have spent three centuries in ruins since the 1679 earthquake. The Avan cemetery on the west edge of the town has khachkars of the 13-18th c and, across the road, the uninscribed stepped plinth and broken pillar of a 5-6th c. grave monument.

Kanaker was another important self-standing village in medieval times, now absorbed into modern Yerevan. An important khachkar of 1265 stands with pointed roof near the Sevan road, erected by Petevan and his wife Avag-tikin for the remembrance of their souls. The church of S. Hakob was dedicated to Hakob of Mtsbina (aka James of Nisibis), an early 4th c. Syrian bishop who was one of the founders of Armenian Christianity. In Armenian tradition (though not Syriac), S. Hakob attempted along with his followers to climb the mountain of Noah's Ark (which back then was located in Kurdistan south of Lake Van, rather than its currently popular location, Armenian "Masis" or Turkish "Agri Dag" just across the border from Armenia). Led by a vision, he found a piece of the Ark, which he brought down in triumph. He was famous also for the springs of water that burst forth where he laid his head, and also for leading the defense of Nisibis against the Persians in AD 338. Near S. Hakob is a large basilica dedicated to the Mother of God. Both churches have elaborate carved entrances. Ruined in the 1679 earthquake, both were rebuilt soon after, S. Hakob by a wealthy businessman based in Tbilisi, S. Astvatsatsin by local efforts. S. Hakob was the seat of the bishop, with a diocesan school founded in 1868. S. Astvatsatsin was a monastic church, originally walled and with cells. Used as a warehouse in Soviet times, S. Hakob resumed its churchly function in 1990. In the gorge below Kanaker may still remain traces of a ruined "Tivtivi Vank" and of a stone bridge.

Kanaker is famous also as the home of Khachatur Abovian, the school-inspector/novelist who elevated the modern dialect of Yerevan to its current literary eminence. Abovian was a nephew of the hereditary chief of Kanaker village, a descendant, in turn, of the Beglarian clan of meliks of Gyulistan. Abovian contributed to his fame by accompanying Professor Friedrich Parrot of Dorpat University on the first modern ascent of Mt. Ararat (the local one), in September 1829. Abovian disappeared mysteriously in April 1848, leaving a wife and two young children. The favorite theory, albeit with no firm evidence behind it, is that he was kidnapped by the Czar's agents to rid the Empire of a potentially dangerous Armenian nationalist in the year of the great European revolutions. The Abovian house-museum, at 5th Kanaker St (tel 28-16-87) is presumably functioning.

Arinj is a pretty suburb on the left just as you leave Yerevan. A recently paved road turns right from the main Sevan road 2.8km past the bridge/turnoff to Garni. Arinj contains Levons Divine Underground, a fantastic collection of rooms and halls carved from the rock of a local villager over the last 25 years. Extending to a depth of more than 20 meters from the surface, these passages are one of the most unique finds in the Yerevan area. To reach the house, continue into the village about 1.0km from the Sevan road. You will see a small post office on your left turn immediately right into a dead-end alley & park at the end. A small footpath continues in the same direction as the alley and meets up with a dirt road turn left and proceed to the fourth house on the right (it has carvings in the shape of a flower bell along the roof). There are no signs knock (at a reasonable hour) for entry. Donations are expected but not required.


Basalt Pillar with Cuneiform, Armenia - History

Your tour of Armenia and Artsakh should begin with Yerevan, the capital of Armenia. Yerevan is one of the earliest sites of human civilizations, with its history dating back to 782 B.C., when Argishti 1 founded an impregnable castle and a fortress-city Erebouni on the hill known as Arin-Berd .

Yerevan was first mentioned as the capital of Ararat in the 14th-century annals. Towards the end of the 1920s, Yerevan became the capital of Soviet Armenia.

Today, Yerevan is the capital of the Republic of Armenia, a country formerly part of the Soviet Union, and one with a proud commercial, financial, cultural and educational center.

Situated in the northeastern region of the Ararat valley, Yerevan covers 300 sq. km and lies at an altitude of between 950 and 1,200 meters above sea level. Yerevan is surrounded by beautiful hills and mountains, from which one can see the panoramic beauty of the city, with Mount Ararat visible from all four corners.

Modern Yerevan is a colorful city with buildings of unique architecture, constructed from marble, basalt, onyx and volcanic tufa stone. The combination of old and modern architectural styles adds to her glory.
The main Cathedral, Saint Gregory the Illuminator was built in Yerevan’s ring-shaped park. Armenia’s largest cathedral can be seen from many corners of the town and the best traditions of church-building are still preserved. Yerevan is divided into two parts by the Hrazdan River, which flows into a deep canyon. Over the years, Yerevan has seen the construction of several bridges.

Numerous cafes and restaurants are situated in every corner of Yerevan, surrounded by fountains, where you can get a cup of coffee for less than 50 cents.

Yerevan’s center is Republic Square, designed in 1926 by chief architect, Alexander Tamanyan, with the involvement of many talented architects. Tamanyan drew up the initial rebuilding plan for Yerevan in 1924, in which the future central square’s main building, the Government House, was finished. The Square has a unified architectural style, which is embodied in the building housing the Council of Trade Unions, the Ministry of Communications, and Hotel Armenia. In front of the Museum of Armenian History and National Gallery of Art, there are fountains which unify music, water and color to provide a special splendor to the Square.

Yerevan’s true beauty comes alive at night with her restaurants, cafes with live music, discos, night clubs and casinos.

The high-quality hotels in the city’s downtown center make Yerevan an attraction for many tourists, with visitors enjoying concerts, artistic life, operas, ballets, symphonic music, theaters, exhibitions and plays, throughout the entire year.

On Saturdays and Sundays, Armenian painters and masters of applied arts exhibit their work near the statues of Martiros Sarian and Vardan Mamikonian, where one can purchase unique and valuable pieces of art and souvenirs.

If you ask any Armenian where Yerevan begins, he will point towards Mt.Ararat. One needs only to go to the top of Victory Park to see the whole city spread at the foot of the beautiful Mt. Ararat, a Biblical Mountain overlooking the City of Yerevan – a mountain which is the symbol of the silent and eternal witness of the magnificent history of Armenia and her people.

We welcome you to our capital city of Yerevan, our Country called Armenia, and invite you to explore its natural splendor.


Ancient Egyptian, Nubian, and Near Eastern Art

The museum's collection of Ancient Egyptian, Nubian, and Near Eastern antiquities is one of the largest on the East Coast, with 7,500 objects dating from Prehistory to the period of Roman domination. The collection’s strengths include Egyptian coffins from all major periods, objects of daily life, royal and divine sculpture, ancient cuneiform tablets, and Near Eastern cylinder seals. Arranged in two galleries, the permanent collection tells the story of humankind through its material culture.

The core of the collection was acquired by Emory professor William Shelton, who traveled to Egypt and Mesopotamia in 1920 with James Henry Breasted of the Oriental Institute at the University of Chicago. Shelton brought back a superb selection of artifacts, including the oldest Egyptian mummy in the Americas. In the 1950s, Kathleen Kenyon donated artifacts from her excavations at Jericho and Jerusalem, followed by contributions from former Emory professors Immanuel Ben Dor, Boone Bowen, J. Maxwell Miller, and others, as a result of their excavations in the Middle East. The collection experienced tremendous growth beginning in 1999 with the purchase of Egyptian antiquities from a small, private museum in Niagara Falls, Canada that were acquired in Egypt during the early 1860s. Renamed the Charlotte Lichirie Collection once in Atlanta, research revealed that one mummy from the 1999 purchase was most likely Ramesses I. It was returned to Egypt in 2003 as a gift of good will and international cooperation. In 2019, a generous gift of the Senusret Collection from the Georges Ricard Foundation added significantly to the museum’s holdings from the ancient world. The gift included gilded Egyptian funerary masks, finely crafted bronze statuettes of deities, and an exquisitely preserved coffin assemblage from Akhmim belonging to priestess Taosiris. Learn more about the history of the collection and view a selection of its objects.


Yerevan – The Capital

Your first acquaintance with Armenia and Yerevan usually starts at Zvartnots International airport named after Zvartnots temple (7th c. AD). Next you enter Yerevan driving by the Yerevanian Lake. Yerevan is the capital of Armenia and one of the oldest cities in the world. It stretches under the gaze of biblical mountain Ararat and resembles a beautiful gilt bowl to those flying over it. A basalt slab with an Urartu cuneiform inscription, unearthed by archaeologists in the south-eastern part of the city shows the age of Yerevan to be 2783 years old. Modern Yerevan is mostly a rebuilt colorful city with buildings of unique architecture, constructed from basalt, marble, onyx and volcanic tuff stone and it is a contemporary to such ancient metropolises as Akhetaton, Babylon and Thebes, Nineveh and Karkemish.

Yerevan is the present-day capital of a nation that was the first in the world to adopt Christianity as a state religion (301 AD), nevertheless during the decades of Soviet “construction” many magnificent Christian cathedrals were demolished here.

The lore has it that Yerevan was built over 7 hills. By the 1860s the city had several districts: Dzoragykh (currently preserved as a historical landmark site), Kond (the Tsirani Tagh), the Old Quarter-Shehar, the New Quarter, the Quarry district (Yerkataghbyur) and Nork? The total population of the city in those days was a mere 13 thousand?

This is Yerevan as we know it today, a city of Christian cathedrals, modern airports, theatres and museums, universities and academies, parks and research labs, squares and industrial sites and, finally, of art-loving and sophisticated people.

Its vast squares, wide streets and avenues, green parks and gardens, blossoming with colors of apricot and cherry trees in springtime, give the city a special charm. Its refreshing fountains offer a coolness in the hot summer days. In the evenings Yerevanians gather around the fountains in the Republic Square to discuss their daily activities and the city?s artists and students enrich the spiritual life of Yerevan for visiting tourists.

The Republic square was built in the 1940s in traditional Armenian architectural style. The arches of the buildings lining the square and the motifs of the bas-reliefs are unique in their conception and resemble the structural shapes of the Armeninan architectural and spiritual monuments of the 10 th -13 th centuries.

The building of the National Opera and Ballet Theatre was designed by the renowned architect Alexander Tamanian. The design won the Grand Prix at the Paris World Fair of 1937.

Matenadaran, the museum and scientific institute named after Mesrop Mashtots, is the world?s richest depository with approximately 14,000 ancient manuscripts in its collection. Ancient and unique samples of world literature are preserved in Matenadaran (built in 1958), some of them have been lost in the original and are available only through their Armenian translations. The Matenadaran has over a thousand manuscripts in Arabic, classical Greek, Hindi, Assyriac, Latin, Ethiopian, Georgian languages.

Erebouni fortress-museum is housed in the ancient citadel of Erebouni, the predecessor of the present-day Yerevan. Its display includes bronze and iron tools, earthenware, weapons, ornaments and other articles made by Urartu craftsmen which have been uncovered during excavations on the site of the ancient fortress town. A visit to the palace of King Argishti, the founder of Yerevan, is also a point of interest. Remains of fortress walls, temples, water ducts and other ancient structures have left their imprint on the land.

The National Art Gallery has a huge collection including Armenian artists as well as Russian and west European masterpieces. For instance, paintings by Hovhannes Ayvazovski are widely held in high esteem. The Museum of Armenia?s History is in the same place and represents the history of Armenia from ancient times until the present. The Martiros Saryan house-museum on Saryan street has about 150 works. Each painting is a passionate declaration of love from the artist to his native land: Armenia.

Yerevan is in a position to compete with many metropolises of the world with its beautiful and ingenious statues.

The Armenia epic hero David of Sassoun, hero of the national liberation war of the 5 th century Vardan Mamikonyan, the founder of classical Armenian music Father Komitas, painter Martiros Sarian. Composer Alexander Spendiarian, the great Armenia poet Hovhannes Toumanian, Sayat-Nova, a bard of the late medieval period, composer Aram Khachatourian, composer Armen Tigranian, architect Alexander Tamanian?.and many more statues and sages you can see in Armenia, that continue to this day to inspire and motivate the inhabitants of Yerevan and cultivate trust toward the future.

During the city tour, tourists will also have a chance to see the Modern Art Gallery, Independence Column, the Tombstone of Alexander Tamanian, chief-architect of Yerevan, who developed the modern plan of the city, a Cascade Complex made of white stone and connecting Victory Park to the Opera House by a unique architectural form. The huge statue of Mother Armenia with its solemn image, symbolizing the independence and power of Armenia, and the Palace of Youth which with its unique shape attracts people?s attention from any point of the city. One can visit The Pantheon, the burial site of many famous Armenians and the unique Museum of Sergey Parajanov, famous Armenian artist and film director, which is situated next to the St. Sargis church on the bank of Hrazdan river. There is also, Tsitsernakaberd, one of the holy places in the city.

The memorial with a flame and the museum devoted to the victims of Genocide 1915 are situated next to the Sports and Concerts Complex. You can also see the Kievian Bridge over the river and many other attractions on Bagramian street: the House of Parliament, the Academy of Sciences, The Palace of President, Constitutional Court, Foreign representations and embassies, The House of Writers and Architects, and many others. The view of Ararat?s summit will guide you during your tour throughout city.

Yerevan preserves the ancient traditions of crafts. Blacksmiths, potters, silversmiths, rug weavers, wood carvers, carvers of stone khachkars all have apprentices in their workshops and studious, that pick the creative skills of the trade from master artisans.

Yerevan is a more beautiful city by night. Hundreds of indoor and outdoor cafes with live music, concert halls and theaters, hotels and restaurants, discos, supermarkets, offices, night clubs and casinos make downtown a favorite place both for city hosts and tourists.

Yerevan has a fine heart that is open for guests. The ancient metropolis never closes its gates. Yerevan seems to be waiting for a miracle, this expectation rises each morning like the sun in the firmament, showering rays of gold and dreams on all of us.


Eğitim

The Progress University in Gyumri

Gyumri is the main educational centre of the province educational institutions. The city is home to 3 universities:

  • Gyumri State Pedagogical Institute named after Mikael Nalbandian,
  • Progress University,
  • Imastaser Anania Shirakatsi University.

Branches of the National Polytechnic University of Armenia, Armenian State University of Economics, Yerevan Komitas State Conservatory, Yerevan State Academy of Fine Arts, Yerevan State Institute of Theatre and Cinematography, European Regional Educational Academy and Haybusak University of Yerevan are also operating in the city.

List of site sources >>>


Videoyu izle: #sondakika ERMENİ KARABAĞIN 3. SAVAŞINI ÇIKARIYOR.!! RESMEN DÜNYAYA YAZILI İLAN ETTİ.!! (Ocak 2022).