Tarih Podcast'leri

Tatev Manastırı'ndaki St. Pogos ve Petros Kilisesi'nin Dış Görünümü

Tatev Manastırı'ndaki St. Pogos ve Petros Kilisesi'nin Dış Görünümü


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.


Tatev Haritası

Tatev, Ermenistan'ın güneydoğusundaki Goris bölgesindeki Tatev köyü yakınlarında Vorotan geçidinin kenarında yüksekte bulunan bir manastırdır. Vorotan, 850 metre derinliği ile Ermenistan'ın en büyük vadisidir.

Tatev Manastırı 9. yüzyılda kurulmuştur. Tatev, stratejik olarak avantajlı bir konumda inşa edildi. Külliyenin iki tarafı yüksek yükseltilmiş savunma duvarları ile çevrilidir ve diğer iki tarafı sarp vadilerle korunmaktadır.

Tatev'in Tarihi
Tatev Manastırı Kompleksi bir zamanlar Syunik prensliğinin siyasi başkentiydi. 10. yüzyılda 1000 kişilik bir nüfusa sahipti. Tatevi Anapat Manastırı 17. yüzyılda kurulmuştur. Vadinin dibinde bulunur. 1931 depremi nedeniyle önemli miktarda tahribat meydana geldi.

Tatev'in Anıtları
895-906'da kurulan Pogos ve Petros Kilisesi, Tatev'in ana anıtıdır. 7. yüzyıldan kalma tipik kubbeli bir bazilika içerir. Eşsiz mimari incelik ve kilisenin dışının büyüleyici detayları tüm turistlerin dikkatini çekiyor. İç duvarlar zamanla zarar gören fresklerle süslenmiştir. Ana kilisenin yanında bulunan Grigory Kilisesi, 1295 yılında inşa edilmiştir.

Gavazan anıtı, ülkenin büyüleyici mimari mükemmelliğinin eşsiz bir örneğidir.

Tatev'de 10. yüzyılda kurulan bir okul kuruldu. Burada öğrencilere insani bilimler ve resimli el yazmaları öğretildi.


Eve dönüş

12. yüzyıldan kalma bir kilise kompleksi olan Kobayr'ın harabeleri ile aramdaki tek engel olan son bir taş basamak beni alaya aldı. Orta çağdaki atalarım, yükselen dağ zirvelerinin üzerine kiliseler inşa ederek ne düşünüyordu? Dualarına nadiren cevap veren Tanrı'ya ellerinden geldiğince yaklaşmaya mı çalışıyorlardı? Belki de harabelere ulaştığımda ve kilisenin kubbesinin kalan yarısına resmedilmiş İsa ve havarilerinin solmakta olan fresklerinin önünde durduğumda, cennette durmak gibiydi.

Kocam Harry ve ben, arkadaşlarımız Nora ve koca Thomas ve kız kardeşim Arda ve kocası Roland'ın da katıldığı uzun zamandır birlikte Ermenistan'ı ziyaret etme isteğimizi nihayet gerçekleştiriyorduk.

Köklerim ülkemiz dediğimiz Hayastan'da derinlere uzanıyor. 19. yüzyılın sonlarında, babaannem ve büyükbabam Osmanlı zulmünden kaçarak bugün Türkiye'nin doğusunda kalan (ama tarihsel olarak Ermeni topraklarıydı) Mısır'a yerleştiler. 1915'te anneannem ve büyükbabam Türklerin Ermeni katliamlarından kaçarak Mısır'da yeniden hayatlarına başladılar.

15 yaşında, doğduğum yer olan Kahire'ye dönmeden önce Ermenistan'daki yaz kampında bir ay geçirdim. Bu gezi bende silinmez bir etki bıraktı ve kuzey Ermenistan'daki Lori bölgesinin vahşi dağlarıyla ilgili anılarım o kadar canlıydı ki ilk kızıma Lori adını verdim. Hâlâ Mısır'da yaşıyorum ve 4 milyonluk Ermeni diasporasının bir parçasıyım.

1991'de Sovyetler Birliği'nden bağımsızlığını kazanan Ermenistan'ı ziyaret eden arkadaşlar, “Ah, çok değişti - bunu görmelisiniz” dedi. Değişikliklerin büyüleyici olacağından emindim, ancak gençliğimde kısaca tanıdığım vatanı da görmek istiyordum.

Şimdi, ilk ziyaretimden neredeyse otuz yıl sonra Lori'ye geri dönmüştüm. Hafızam beni yanıltmamıştı. Göz alabildiğine dağlar açılmıştı. Benim durduğum yerden biraz daha aşağıda, tepedeki bir mağaranın ağzında keçiler otluyordu ve Debed Nehri vadiden geçerek Karadeniz'e döküleceği Gürcistan'a doğru yol alıyordu.

Durduğum yerden manzara sakindi, hem doğal (1988'de 25.000 kişinin öldüğü bir deprem) hem de insan yapımı felaketlerle dolu bir tarihi yalanlıyordu.

Viyana üzerinden başkent Erivan'a uçtuk. Kahire'den bulabildiğimiz en iyi bağlantıydı ama bizi sabahın 5'inde şehre soktu. Şehre bir taksiye binerken yarı uykudaydım, ama Ağrı Dağı'nı ilk görüşüm duyularımı uyandırdı. Dağ, Nuh'un Gemisi'nin orada dinlenmeye geldiğine inanan Ermeniler için kutsaldır. Bugün Türk topraklarına giriyor. Yine de Ararat kimliğimizle o kadar bağlantılı ki, önümüzdeki birkaç gün boyunca, sonunda anavatanımda olduğum gerçeğini pekiştirmek için bazen onu aramaya başladım.

90'lı yılların başından beri ülkeyi düzenli olarak ziyaret eden Thomas, bizim “misyon başkanımız”dı ve her zamanki profesyonel yaklaşımıyla 12 günlük kalışımızı planlamıştı. O ve yemek ve eğlence uzmanımız Nora, Erivan'da muhteşem Ağrı Dağı manzarasına sahip olduğumuz bir daire kiralamamıza yardımcı oldular.

Kafe kültürü, hızla büyüyen ve yaklaşık 1,2 milyon nüfusa sahip bir şehir olan Erivan'ı değiştirdi. Bir zamanlar parklar ve gezinti yerleri varken, şimdi müşterilerin sosyalleşmek için omuz omuza oturduğu bistrolar var.

Ararat'ın muhteşem manzarasına sahip Amrotz Restaurant'ta keyifli bir akşam geçirdik. Yedik khorovatz, ya da ızgara kuzu ya da domuz eti ve Ermeni müziğinin hızlı ritimleriyle dans edip Rus votkası içti.

Başka bir gece de canlı müziğin de olduğu Paplavok Jazz Café'nin tadına baktık. Gürültülü kalabalığı kontrol ederken, birkaç masa ötede oturan ABD'li kuzenlerimizi görünce şaşırdık.

Erivan'ın sanat ortamı da sokaklara dökülüyor, burada çok sayıda heykel ve sanat eseri bulacaksınız: Mayr Hayastan'ın (Ermenistan Ana) bir tepenin tepesinden Erivan'ı izleyen devasa heykeli, Cascades bölgesinin eteğindeki Victory Park Botero'nun kedisi ve , metalde, Apovian Caddesi'ndeki çiçek satıcısı Garaballa'nın kıpır kıpır figürü.

Ermeniler metali ve taşı iyi kullanırlar. 70'lerin Sovyet döneminden kalma binaları korkunç kibrit kutuları olsa da, şehrin eski binaları klasik bir sadeliğe sahiptir. Daha yeni mimari, yerli duf, cam cephelerde oynarken şehre çağdaş bir görünüm kazandıran pembe renkli bir taş.

Gündüzleri kırsal bölgeyi keşfetmek için Erivan'dan yola çıkıyorduk. Şoförlü bir minibüs kiraladık ve kaldığımız sürenin sonunda Ermenistan'ın tahmini 11.490 mil karesinin çoğunu keşfettik.

Hiçbirimiz kendimizi dindar Hıristiyan olarak tanımlamasak da zamanımızın çoğunu kiliselerde ve manastırlarda geçirdik, bu da bize vatanımızı ve 3 milyon insanını daha iyi anlamamızı sağladı.

Ermenistan, MS 301'de Ermenilerin son derece gurur duyduğu dünyanın ilk Hıristiyan ulusu oldu. Ateşli inançlarını yerine getirmek ve belki de kasaba ve köylere koruma sağlamak için bugün Türkiye, Gürcistan, Azerbaycan ve İran'ın kesiştiği bu ülkenin görünüşte her köşesine kiliseler inşa ettiler.

Avrupa ve Asya'nın kavşağında bulunan konumu nedeniyle Ermenistan, birçok düşman komşu tarafından kuşatılmış, işgal edilmiş ve işgal edilmiştir. Romalılar, Bizanslılar, Persler ve diğer bölgesel güçler Ermeni topraklarından geçtiler. Bazıları, 7. yüzyıldaki Araplar gibi kaldı ve neredeyse üç yüzyıl boyunca ülkeyi işgal etti.

1500'lerin başında Osmanlı Türkleri, çoğu bugün Türkiye sınırları içinde kalan tarihi Ermenistan'ın çoğunu ele geçirdi ve Sovyetler ülkeyi 70 yıldan fazla bir süre kontrol etti. 1991'den bu yana Ermenistan ve Azerbaycan birbirleriyle savaştı ve her iki taraftan da binlerce kişi öldü.

Atalarımızın stratejik konumlarda kiliseler inşa etme motivasyonu olduğu gibi, bizim de onları güzergahımıza bu kadar belirgin bir şekilde yerleştirmek için nedenlerimiz vardı: Kırsal kesimin, kasabaların ve köylerin doğal güzelliğinin tadını çıkarırken Ermenistan'ın geçmişinin güçlü bir bölümüne dokunacaktık.

Ülkenin tahmini 40.000 dini anıtından çoğu, benzersiz bir mimari özelliğe veya Ermenistan'ın tarihi ve iç içe geçmiş inanç ve siyaset konuları hakkında ilginç bir hikayeye sahiptir.

Örneğin güneyde, Erivan'dan yaklaşık 170 mil uzaklıktaki Tatev kasabasının yukarısındaki bir uçurumun üzerinde yer alan 9. yüzyıldan kalma Tatev manastırına ve kalesine ulaşmak için Syunik bölgesinin kötü yollarına (veya şoförümüzün yaptığı) ve dolambaçlı dağ yollarına cesaret ettik. .

Uzaktan, kilisenin haçı taşıyan tipik konik kubbesini ve onun altında kanyondan aşağı akan bir şelaleyi görebiliyorduk. Başlıca kilisesi Pogos ve Petros veya Paul ve Peter'ın iç duvarları, yakın zamanda kısmen restore edilmiş fresklerle süslenmiştir. Haçkarlar — karmaşık haçlarla oyulmuş dikdörtgen taş levhalar — kilisenin dış duvarlarını ve avlusunu süslüyor. Manastırın zirvesinde, 10. yüzyıldan 13. yüzyıla kadar burada 1000 kadar keşiş yaşadı ve okudu.

Manastır odalarından biri, kanyona bakan muazzam bir kemerli açıklığa sahiptir. Tipik çok amaçlı bir tarzda Tatev, işgalci orduları savuşturmak için bir kale ve Hıristiyan inancını besleyen ve Ermeni kültürünü yayan ve zenginleştiren bir dini merkez olarak kullanıldı. Keşişler, Ermeni kimliklerini yaşatma çabalarının bir parçası olarak, tarih, dil, bilim ve sanat alanındaki çalışmalarını belgeleyen, şimdi Erivan'ın Madenataran müzesinde saklanan minyatür el yazmaları yarattılar.

Başka bir gün, Erivan'ın yaklaşık 110 mil kuzeyindeki Alaverdi kasabası çevresinde inşa edilen Sanahin ve Haghpad'in 10. yüzyıldan kalma manastır komplekslerini ziyaret ettik. Her birinin asimetrik olarak düzenlenmiş sayısız binası vardır ve ana kiliseleri Ermeni dini mimarisinde yaygın olan çapraz kanatlı kubbe tipindedir.

İki site, sütunlu çan kuleleri ile taçlandırılmış üç katlı çan kulelerine sahiptir. Her birinin kütüphane katlarında, hazineleri veya önemli belgeleri saklamak için yeraltı önbellekleri vardı. İslam ve Zerdüşt (eski bir Pers dini) sembolleri, belki de düşmanları yatıştırmak veya şaşırtmak için Haghpad ve Sanahin'deki duvarları süslüyor.

18. yüzyıla ait romantik şarkıları hâlâ Ermenistan'ın müzik sözlüğünde yer alan sevgili şair Sayat Nova, Haghpad'deki bir manastır hücresinde, yüksek platodan dağların ve vadilerin muhteşem manzarasına bakan bir ilham kaynağı olarak çalıştı.

Bulduğumuz en ilham verici manzara, Türkiye-Ermeni sınırındaki Erivan'ın 55 mil batısındaki Khor Virab Manastırı'ndandı. Burası Ermenilerin koruyucu azizi Aydınlatıcı Gregory'nin 1700 yıl önce Kral III. Hıristiyanlığı Ermenistan'ın devlet dini olarak ilan eden kralın dinini değiştirdikten 13 yıl sonra serbest bırakıldı. Gregory'nin esir tutulduğu klostrofobik çukura merdivenle erişilebilir.

Berrak bir gündü ve Ağrı Dağı ufka yayılmıştı.

"Bir gün oraya gideceğiz, değil mi?" Dağı düşünürken minibüs şoförümüz Hovsep sordu.

Belki, diye düşündüm. Ama yapmasak da Ararat Ermeni mücadelesinin sembolü olarak yanımızda. Mecazi anlamda sadece 3.000 yıl hayatta kalarak bu zirveye ulaşıyoruz.

Hayatta kalmamızın araçlarından biri müzik ve şarkıydı. Erivan'ın 30 mil doğusundaki Keğart Manastırı'na giderken üç sokak müzisyeni bizimle otostop çekti. Müzisyenler arka koltuğa yerleşir yerleşmez yüksek sesle Ermeni aşk şarkıları çalmaya ve söylemeye başladılar.

Nora gürültülü bir şekilde güldü. “Bir radyo ya da CD çalar almayı duymuştum, ama canlı bir grupla mı? Bu ancak Ermenistan'da olabilir!” dedi.

Onları birkaç jeton karşılığında ziyaretçilere gösteri yapacakları bir piknik alanına bıraktık.

Keghart Manastırı, 4. yüzyılda Aydınlatıcı Gregory tarafından kurulan ve 12. yüzyılda genişletilen çarpıcı bir bina kompleksidir. Efsaneye göre, uzun zaman önce ortadan kaybolmasına rağmen, Mesih'i delen mızrak buraya getirildi.

Birbirine bağlı çok sayıda kilisenin bir kısmı dağın yamacında kayaya oyulmuştur. Bir salonun içindeki akustik öyle ki, Thomas'ın bize gösterdiği tek bir kişinin uğultusu bir koro gibi geliyor.

Ama gerçekten cennet gibi bir ses duymak için Ermeni ayininin şarkılarını dinleyin. Eski zamanlarda kilisede ayrıntılı görüntülerin kullanılması yasaktı. Bazıları, Ermeni litürjisinin şarkılarının, sanki bunu telafi etmek istercesine, diğer Ortodoks inançlarına kıyasla daha sofistike olduğunu söylüyor. Pazar günü Ermeni Apostolik Kilisesi'nin Ana Makamı Echmiadzin'de ayine katıldık. Tüm Ermenilerin Yüksek Patriği ve Katolikosu II. Karekin Hazretleri, sık sık olduğu gibi oradaydı.

Tüm zamanımızı içeride ya da harabeler arasında geçirmedik. Bir gün Erivan'ın yaklaşık 30 mil kuzeybatısındaki Aragats Dağı'nın eteklerinde piknik yaptık. Lavanta denizleri, sarı ve beyaz kır çiçekleri, vadinin kenarında görkemli bir şekilde asılı duran 11. yüzyıldan kalma Amberd kalesinin kalıntılarının gölgesinde uzanıyor.

Ayrıca, turkuaz suları ve kumlu plajları ile Ermenistan'ın karayla çevrili bir ülke olduğunu bir an için bile olsa unutturan Sevan Gölü'nde bir durak ekledik.

Ermenistan'dan ayrılmadan önce ziyaret etmemiz gereken son bir yer vardı: Tsitsernakaberd, Erivan'da 1915'ten itibaren Türkler tarafından öldürülen yüzbinlerce -Ermenilerin dediğine göre 1,5 milyon kadar- onuruna inşa edilen anıt.

Anıtın ortasında yanan sonsuz alevin etrafında yükselen taş levhaların arasındaki açıklıklardan Ararat'ın karla kaplı zirvesini görebiliyordum. Kızının yardımıyla yaşlı bir kadın aleve yaklaştı ve kimi düşündüğünü merak ettim.

Düşüncelerim dağlara döndü, sınırları, bayrakları, başkentleri değişen - hatta 500 yıldır siyasi bir varlık olarak ortadan kaybolan - ama yok olmayan mucizevi bir vatana. Dayanıyor ve bana güç veriyor. Geri döneceğimi biliyorum.

LAX'ten, Aeroflot, Air France, Virgin Atlantic, British, United, American, KLM ve Air New Zealand'da bağlantı hizmeti (uçak değişikliği) sunulmaktadır. Kısıtlı gidiş-dönüş ücretleri 13 Ekim'e kadar 999$'dan başlar, ardından 11 Aralık'a kadar 800$'dan başlar.

Aramak Aşağıdaki ABD numaraları, 011 (uluslararası telefon kodu), 374 (Ermenistan ülke kodu) ve yerel numarayı tuşlayın.

Marriott Ermenistan Otel, Cumhuriyet Meydanı, Erivan 1-599-000, faks 1-599-001, https://www.marriott.com/EVNMC . 139 dolardan iki katına çıkıyor.

Kongre Oteli, 1 Italia St., Yerevan 1-580-095, faks 1-522-224 https://www.congresshotelyerevan.com . 126 oda. 108 dolardan ikiye katlanıyor.

Ani Plaza Otel, 19 Sayat-Nova Ave., Yerevan 1-589-500, faks 1-565-343, https://www.anihotel.com . 194 oda. 102 dolardan ikiye katlanıyor.

Mer Tagh, 21/1 Tumanian St., Erivan 1-580-106. Özelliği lahmacun, üzeri kıyılmış etle kaplanmış ve her biri 80 sentlik fırında pişirilmiş ince bir hamur işi. HaçaburiPeynirli veya etli bir Gürcü puf böreğinin fiyatı 1,50 dolar.

Aragast/Paplavok, 41 Isahakian St., Erivan 1-545-500. Bu iki restoran bir gölete bakar ve Ermeni ve Batı yemekleri sunar, ancak oraya yemek için değil müzik için giderler. Birincisi bir kemancı, ikincisi ise canlı cazıyla ünlü. Mezeler yaklaşık 5 dolar.

Rehber kitap: “Zamanın Kıyısında: Ermenistan ve Karabağ'da Seyahat.” Yazarlar Matthew Karanian ve Robert Kurkjian, Ermenistan ve Karabağ çevresinde araba ile seyahat hakkında faydalı bilgiler sunuyor.


Eçmiyazin Kasabası

Yerevan'ı üs olarak kullanarak, Ermeni Apostolik Kilisesi'nin manevi ve idari merkezi olan kutsal Echmiadzin kasabasını ('Tanrı'nın Biricik Oğlunun indiği yer' anlamına gelir) kolayca ziyaret edebilirsiniz. çok sayıda kilisesi, manastırı ve pitoresk arka plana karşı ilginç mimarisi ile ünlü dünya.

NS Eçmiadzin Katedrali 4. yüzyılda inşa edilmiş en eski Hıristiyan kiliselerinden biri olan ve gerçekten değerli tabloları ve dini eserleri koruyan bir müzeye sahip şehrin en önemli noktasıdır. Bu kilise hakkında ilginç bir efsane vardır ki, 301 yılında Kral Trdat'ı aydınlattığı ve onu Hristiyanlığa yönlendirdiği için Kutsal Aydınlatıcı olarak bilinen Aziz Gregory'nin, İsa'nın bulutlardan inip Echmiadzin'de yere çarptığını gördüğüne dair bir efsane vardır. altın bir çekiçle, böylece yeni kilisenin yerini belirler. Hem dışı hem de içi ile ziyaretçileri çeken Ermenistan'ın en çok ziyaret edilen sitelerinden biridir.

Fotoğraf tweettravelers.com

Ayrıca kiliseler de çekicidir. Aziz Gayane (640-41cc. A.D.) ve Aziz Hripsime (618 AD), hem Ermeni mimarisinin başyapıtları hem de uyumlu oranları ve görkemli iç mekanlarıyla turistleri şaşırtmayı asla başaramayan UNESCO Dünya Mirası Alanları. Şoğakat kilisesi şehrin mimari koleksiyonuna çok sonra eklenen bir başka mimari harikası. Echmiadzin'deyken, gerçekten takdir edeceğiniz otantik bir tada sahip kyufta adlı yerel bir lezzeti mutlaka deneyin.


Ermenistan'ın turistik yerleri: Ermenistan'da ne görülmeli

Ermenistan'ın turistik yerleri tarihle ilgilenen gezginler için dikkat çekicidir. Bunların en bilinenleri sayısız ve eski manastırları ve kiliseleridir. Ancak ülkenin ilginç manzaraları ve doğal güzellikleri de var.

Ermenistan'ın en önemli turistik mekanları arasında UNESCO'nun insanlığın dünya mirası elanco'suna dahil ettiği yerler vardır: Haghpat ve Sanahin Manastırları (1996, 2000), Echmiatsin Katedrali ve Kiliseleri ve Zvartnots arkeolojik alanı (2000), Geghard Manastırı ve Yukarı Azat Vadisi (2000).

HAGHPAT VE SANAHİN MANASTIRLARI

Haghpat ve Sanahin Manastırları: Kuzey Ermenistan'da Tumanian bölgesinde bulunan iki Bizans manastırıdır, Kiurikian hanedanlığı (X-XIII. Yüzyıl) döneminde önemli bilgi merkezleriydiler. Bu iki manastır, eşsiz üslubu, Bizans unsurlarının ve Kafkas bölgelerinin geleneksel mimarisinin bir karışımı olan Ermeni dini mimarisinin ulaştığı en yüksek seviyeyi temsil ediyor. Her iki manastır da 10. yüzyılda birbirinden birkaç km uzaklıkta kurulmuştur. Binalar, Dzoraget nehrinin oluşturduğu derin vadide hakim bir konumda yer almaktadır. Pastoral ve harika bir doğal yerdir.

ECHMIATSIN KATEDRALİ VE KİLİSLERİ

Echmiatsin (Ejmiatsin) Katedrali ve Kiliseleri ve Zvartnots arkeolojik alanı: Echmiatsin (Ejmiatsin) Katedrali ve Kiliseleri ve Zvartnots arkeolojik alanı, planlı çapraz ve merkezi kubbe. 5. yüzyılda inşa edilen St. Echmiadzin Katedrali, şimdi Ermeni Katoliklerinin oturduğu yer. Ayrıca ilginç olan, Ermeni sanatının hazinelerini, kalıntıları ve arkeolojik kalıntıları sergileyen katedralin içinde yer alan müzedir.

ZVARTNOTS ARKEOLOJİK YERİ

Zvartnots, yedinci yüzyılın ortalarında Echmiatsin (Ejmiatsin) yakınlarında inşa edilmiş çok anlamlı bir yapı kompleksidir. Yapıldığı dönemde Ermenistan'ın en önemli katedraliydi. Kalıntı kompleksi San Giorgio (Zvartnots) katedrali ve Nerses III sarayından oluşur.

DİĞER MANASTIRLAR VE KİLİSELER

Geghard Manastırı ve Yukarı Azat Vadisi: Garni'nin birkaç km kuzeyinde bulunan Geghard Manastırı, çok sayıda kilise ve mezar içerir. Çoğu kayaya oyulmuş ve Ermeni ortaçağ mimarisinin zirvesini temsil ediyor. Orta Çağ binaları kompleksi, Azat Vadisi'nin girişinde kayalıklarla çevrili, harika bir doğal güzelliğe sahip bir manzarada yer almaktadır. Aziz Gregory manastırının en eski kayasına oyulmuş kilisenin tarihi yedinci yüzyıla kadar uzanıyor. Külliyenin ana yapısı, haç planlı Meryem Ana Kilisesi ise 13. yüzyıla tarihlenmektedir.

Ülkede görülmesi gereken diğer ilginç yerler ise Dilijan şehrinin yakınında bulunan Haghartsin Manastırı. Bu manastır, üç kilise ve birkaç şapel içeren bir dizi manastır yapısından oluşur. Ana kilise, 1281 yılında inşa edilen Aziz Astvatsatsin kilisesidir, en eskisi ise 11. yüzyıla kadar uzanan Aziz Grigor kilisesidir.

Bir başka ilginç yapı ise 9. yüzyılda kurulan Tatev Manastırı. Bu manastır, aşağıdaki kanyona hakim olmak için stratejik olarak yerleştirilmiş kayalık bir uçurumun üzerinde yer almaktadır. Manastırın en önemli binası 9. ve 10. yüzyıllar arasında inşa edilen Pogos ve Petros (Peter ve Paul) kilisesidir. İçeride, bazı 10. yüzyıl freskleri hala görülebilmektedir.


Mimari

13. yüzyıl Ermeni tarihçisi Vardan Areveltsi'ye göre Gharghavank, 661-685 yılları arasında Prens Grigor Mamikonian tarafından yaptırılmıştır. Kilise, iç sekizgen boşluktan yayılan sekiz yarım daire biçimli apsisli, merkezi planlı, nefli tetra-conch tipindedir. Sekiz apsis duvarının dış cepheleri, apsislerin her birini bölen geniş üçgen nişler içeren sekiz doğrusal panel ile değişmektedir. Kalın apsis duvarları ve pandantifler üstte bir kasnağı ve kubbeyi taşıyordu. Tambur ve kubbenin çoğu o zamandan beri çöktü. Mekanın çevresinde geometrik bezeme parçaları görülebilir.

Yapıya açılan iki portal var. Birinin lentosunda haç şeklinde haçkar deseni oyulmuştur. Dış cephedeki üçgen nişlerin köşelerinde sütunlu süslemeler bulunmaktadır. Pencerelerin üzerindeki semerler, saçak ve kornişlerin çevresinde başka tasarımlar görülebilir ve bir zamanlar portallerin çevresinde dekoratif özellikler vardı. Pencere kenarlarında yaprak kabartması, saçak ve kornişlerde ise geometrik kabartma görülmektedir. Kilisenin iç kısmında da boyalı kabartma izleri vardır. Kilisede bulunan dekoratif kabartma, Ejmiatsin'deki 7. yüzyıldaki Zvartnots Kilisesi'ndekine benzer.

Kilisenin kuzey cephesinde 1948 yılında restorasyon çalışması yapılmıştır. Bir zamanlar tamburun durduğu alan boyunca bir miktar inşaat demiri görülebilir.


Tatev Manastırı'ndaki St. Pogos ve Petros Kilisesi'nin Dış Görünümü - Tarih

2003 yılının Ağustos ayında, Abba Seraphim ve Peder Simon Smyth, Ermeni Apostolik Kilisesi'nin (Dağlık Karabağ ve komşu kurtarılmış tarihi Artsakh bölgelerini kapsayan) Artsakh Piskoposluğu başpiskoposu Başpiskopos Pargev Martirossyan'ın konuklarıydı. Onlara, Vem Ermeni Radyosu Genel Müdürü Dr. Manuk Hergnyan eşlik etti.

Ermenistan Cumhuriyeti Ulusal Bilimler Akademisi'nde antik ve erken ortaçağ Ermeni tarihini inceleyen araştırma grubunun başkanı ve Erivan Devlet Dilbiliminde Alan Araştırmaları Başkanı Dr. Eduard Danielyan'ın keyifli eşliğinde Artsakh'a doğru yola çıktık. Üniversitede Britanya Bölge Çalışmaları ve Ermeni tarihi dersleri veriyor. Eduard mutlak bir bilgi hazinesiydi ve Ermeni tarihi hakkında sorduğum her soru çok derin ve bilimsel bir doğrulukla cevaplandı. Bagratidler ve Artsrunidlerin eski prens hanedanlarına olan soykütüksel ilgim onu ​​açıkça memnun etti ve Ermeniler hakkında tartışmaya daldık. diasporayanı sıra kendi aile kökenlerimiz. Manuk, atalarının 1828'de, birçok Rus-Türk savaşından biri sırasında, Ağrı Dağı'nın (şimdi Türkiye'nin doğusunda) batı yamaçlarında Bayazit'ten göç ettiğini biliyordu.

Erivan'dan ayrıldıktan kısa bir süre sonra, sağ tarafımızda, gökten inen Yeni Kudüs gibi puslu bulutların üzerinde yükselen, uzaktaki karla kaplı Ağrı Dağı zirvesinin (5,165 m) hakim olduğu büyük düz Ararat Ovasını geçtik. Ararat-Masis'in Ermeni duyguları üzerinde neden bu kadar duygusal ve sembolik bir etkisi olduğunu anlamak zor değildi. Her biri Ermeni ulusunun zayıf bağımsızlığını yok eden Roma, Bizans, Moğol, Pers, Tatar, Selçuklu, Osmanlı ve Kemalist Türkler gibi işgalci orduların geçişini hayal ederken tarihi Ermenistan'ın bu çekirdeğinin stratejik kırılganlığı üzerinde düşündüm. Güneye ve ardından doğuya, Ermenistan'ın güneyindeki Zengezur (Syunik) eyaletine doğru ilerlerken, yol Zengezur Dağları'nın görkemli eteklerinden geçiyordu. Zengezur'un adı geleneksel olarak bir Ermeni patriği Dzagik'in bölgesi olan coğrafi Dzagedzor adından türetilmiştir. Halk etimolojisine göre isim, Vorotan Nehri Geçidi üzerine inşa edilmiş eski bir kilisedeki zille ilgili bir efsaneden türeyen 'duyulamayan çan' anlamına gelir. Büyük çan altmış kilometreye kadar bir mesafeden duyulabiliyordu ve yaklaşık altı yüz köyü düşmanların yaklaştığı konusunda uyarmaya hizmet etti, onların ağaçlık tepelere kaçmalarını ve zaptedilemez Tatev manastırının güvenliğine gitmelerini sağladı. 8. yüzyılda Arap işgalcilerin zili yok etmeye çalıştıkları ve sonunda altında şiddetli bir şenlik ateşi yakarak tokmağın yana doğru erimesine neden oldukları söylenir.

İmparatorluk Rusya'nın düşüşünden sonra, bu bölge zamanın testine dayandı. Azerbaycan Cumhuriyeti'nin (Türkiye tarafından desteklenen) Nahçıvan, Zengezur ve Karabağ'ın Ermeni bölgelerine yönelik iddiaları Ermenilerin şiddetli direnişiyle karşılaştı ve bir çatışma merkezi haline geldi. Haziran 1918'de Türk birliklerinin Ermenistan Cumhuriyeti'ne taarruzu sırasında Nahçıven bölgesini işgal ettiler, ancak General Andranik Ozanyan'ın (1865-1927) önderliğindeki Ermeni alayı tarafından yenilgiye uğradılar. Temmuz sonunda Azerbaycanlı Müsavatçılar tarafından desteklenen Türk kuvvetleri Nahçıvan'ı ele geçirdi, ancak I. Dünya Savaşı'ndaki yenilgiden sonra Türkiye Nahçıvan da dahil olmak üzere işgal altındaki topraklardan geri çekilmek zorunda kaldı (Aralık 1918). Müsavatçılar bölgeyi işgal etti, ancak Mayıs 1919'da Ermenistan Cumhuriyeti askeri güçleri Nahçıvan'ı kurtardı. Temmuz 1920'de Nahçıvan 11. Kızıl Ordu alayları tarafından işgal edildi ve burada Sovyet gücü kuruldu. Sovyet Rusya ve Kemalist Türkiye arasında imzalanan Moskova Antlaşması'na (16 Mart 1921) göre Nahçıvan Sovyet Azerbaycan'a katıldı. Böylece Kemalist Türkiye, Ermenistan'dan Kars ilçesini ve Surmalu (Surb Mariam - St. Maria) bölgesini fethetti ve Sovyet Azerbaycan'ın Şubat 1924'te Nahçıvan olarak yeniden yapılandırılan Nahçıvan'ı ilhak etmesine yardım etti (isim Naxçivan yanlış yazılmıştır). ) Azerbaycan SSC'ye karşılık gelen Özerk Sovyet Sosyalist Cumhuriyeti. General Andranik'in ve ardından ünlü Ermeni komutan Geregin Nzhdeh'in (1886-1955) çabalarıyla Zengezur Ermeni kaldı ve Nahçıvan ile aynı kaderi paylaşmadı. Ancak Zengezur Azerbaycan'a bırakılsaydı, Karabağ Azerbaycan tarafından o kadar sıkı bir şekilde kuşatılacaktı ki asla bağımsızlığını kazanamayacaktı. Sovyet iktidarı yıllarında Azerbaycan hükümdarları, Nahçıvan'ın yerli nüfusu olan Ermenileri tehcir politikasını hayata geçirdiler. Vandalizm - Ermeni tarihi anıtlarının, özellikle de Hıristiyan çağının (kiliseler ve haçkarlar - taş haçlar) yıkımı eşlik etti.

Ana yoldan ayrıldıktan ve Arpa nehrinin bir kolu tarafından yapılan sarp bir geçitten aşağı küçük bir yolu takip ettikten sonra, çoğu antik manastır yeri gibi dramatik bir şekilde bir uçurumun tepesinde bulunan Norovank'a ('Yeni Manastır') ulaştık. Manastıra kadar gidebileceğiniz gibi, Norovank'ta oldukça kalabalık bir turist kalabalığı vardı, aralarında Amerikan Ermenilerinden oluşan dostane bir aile de evlerinde bir film için benimle röportaj yaptı ve Ermenistan'ı turistler için güvenli bir yer olarak görüp görmediğime dair fikrimi sordu. .


Üç kiliseden oluşan kompleks, 1998 yılında Kanadalı bir Ermeni ailenin cömertliğiyle eski ihtişamına kavuşmuştur. Bu, Vayots Dzor'un ("Keder Geçidi") ya da bir zamanlar Orbelian ailesinin toprakları olan Syunik bölgesinin lordluğuydu. Aslen Zakarid prenslerinin feodal tebaası olan Smbat Orbelian, inju 1252'de Büyük Han Monge tarafından statüsünü aldı ve doğrudan Moğollara bağımlı hale getirerek böl ve yönet politikasını ilerletti. Ermeni feodal soyluları ruhen İskoç klanlarına yakın görünüyor ve Kelt geleneğiyle ortak olarak, her klanın kendi piskoposu, genellikle klan şefinin ailesinin bir çocuğu vardı. 1304 yılında vefat eden ve buraya defnedilen Stepanos Orbelian, hem Syunik Metropoliti hem de seçkin bir tarihçidir.

Vahanavank başrahibi Piskopos Hovhannes tarafından 1205 yılında daha eski bir (9. yüzyıl) kilisesinin yerine kurulmuş olan bu yer, Syunik piskoposluğunun merkezi olmuştur. St. Karapet, 1982 yılında yapılan kazılarda ortaya çıkarılan, güneyde avlulu, tek nefli bir yapıdır. Kuzeyde, St. Karapet'in bitişiğinde, Prens Libarit Orbelian tarafından 1216- 1216-yılları arasında inşa ettirilen Protomartir Aziz Stephen Kilisesi yer almaktadır. 1222 ve 1223'te kutsanmıştır. İçi haç biçiminde, her köşede ikişer katlı payandalar ve 1840 depreminde yıkılan ve 1980'lere kadar restore edilmemiş bir kubbeye sahiptir. St. Stephen's'ın kuzey tarafında, St. Gregory'nin kilise-mozolesi bulunur. Mimar Siranes tarafından tasarlanan yapı, Prens Tarsayiç Orbelian tarafından 1275 yılında kardeşi Büyük Prens Smbat'ın mezarı üzerine yaptırılmıştır. 1251 ve 1256'da Büyük Han'ın Karakurum'daki sarayına, Syunik bölgesine vergi muafiyeti tanıması için onu ikna etmek için iki tehlikeli yolculuk yaptı. Garip bir şekilde antropomorfik bir aslanı betimleyen bir kazıma levhası, Prens Tarsayiç'in oğlu ve Piskopos Stepanos'un 1300'de ölen kardeşi Elikum'un mezarını kaplar. gavitBatı narteksinin daha büyük bir versiyonu olarak tanımlanan, batıda 1261 tarihli, Orbelian şehzadelerinin mozolesi olarak hizmet vermektedir. Binanın dış duvarları gavit özellikle zengin kabartma heykellere sahiptir ve tüm kompleks khatchkarlar açısından zengindir. Birinde Baba Tanrı'nın özellikle çarpıcı bir tasviri tipanum bir pencerenin üzerinde, Kutsal Ruh bir güvercin şeklinde üzerine inerken, Adem'in başını koynunda tutarken tasvir eder. tipanum aşağıdaki kapının üzerinde, Meryem Ana ve bebek Kurtarıcı, zengin bir şekilde birbirine dolanmış yapraklar arasında tahtta oturuyorlar.

Kompleksin doğu tarafında, 1339 yılında inşa edilen ve bazen kurucusu Prens Bourtel Orbelin'den sonra 'Bourtelashen' olarak adlandırılan Kutsal Meryem Ana (Astvatsatsin) Kilisesi bulunur. Büyük ortaçağ sanatçısı, ressam, heykeltıraş ve mimar Momik tarafından tasarlandı. İki katlıdır, ancak ana girişten zemin seviyesinden ulaşılabilen ana kayaya oyulmuş derin bir mahzeni vardır. Birinci kattaki şapele ancak ana girişin her iki yanında yükselen dik dış basamaklarla girilebilir. Peder Simon'ın baş dönmesi onu yerde tuttu ama her ne kadar anlayışlı olsam da, şapelin görkemi on iki sütunlu kubbeli kubbeden dökülen ışık olduğu için tırmanışı yaptığım için mutluydum. 1997 yılına kadar sadece düz kırma çatılı olan kilise, 1997 yılında parçalı kaynaklara dayanılarak kasnak ve konik çatı restore edilmiştir.

Norovank'tan ayrılarak, daha az etkileyici, ancak Ermeni kültür tarihinde büyük öneme sahip olan Gladzor'u aramaya gittik. Gladzor Manastırı 1282 yılında Nerses Mshetzi tarafından kurulmuş ve en az dokuz profesör ve yaklaşık on beş öğretim görevlisi ile bir üniversite olarak hizmet vermiştir. Seçkin din adamları, bilim adamları ve tarihçi Piskopos Stepanos Orbelian eğitimlerini burada aldılar. It was known as the ‘glorious second Athens’, ‘the seat and school of our holy doctors’ by contemporaries and students came from all over Armenia and even from Cilicia. It was famed for its ancient manuscripts and became an outstanding school of miniature painting, many of which are preserved in Armenia’s great manuscript collection housed in Yerevan’s Matenadaran. To avoid the Mongol advance the university eventually transferred to Vostan Gavor after Nerses’ death in 1338, when the monastery rapidly declined and the site was subsequently sacked and left in ruins. Its prestigious reputation ultimately led to the foundation of the Gladzor Management University in Yerevan in 1991, the Gladzor Bank and Gladzor Brandy, a blend of the ubiquitous Armenian spirit.

The site today, known as Tanahati Vank (or Tanade) is along a serpentine road and halfway up a deserted hillside The small Church of St. Stepanos, built of slate coloured stone between 1273-79, boasts external carvings of the Proshian and Orbelian heraldic devices, the latter consisting of a lion and a bull. The university ruins are further down the hill and revealed a small fifth century basilica when excavated in 1970. Below this a large area has been concreted to serve as a car park when coach loads of pilgrims come for occasional services.

A single hawthorn tree, twisted into grotesque shapes by the winter winds, offered shade from the fierce sun and unbelievably, a small modern drinking fountain provided a constant stream of clear, fresh spring water. Here we stopped and refreshed ourselves with sweet apricots and delicious sandwiches of local bread filled with cheese and sprigs of fresh garlic.

Retracing our steps some seven kilometres, we came across the Museum of Gladzor University, established in the seventeenth century Church of St. Hakob in the little village of Vernashen. Outside the entrance seven handsome modern khatchkars have been erected, representing the trivium (grammar, rhetoric & logic) and dörtgen (arithmetic, geometry, astronomy and music) of mediaeval education. There are also a number of handsome, ancient khatchkars. Inside the little museum offers displays on educational institutions in Armenia, maps illustrating the spread of Gladzor’s influence and reproductions of famous manuscripts created at Gladzor.

While navigating these serpentine roads Eduard recounted the history of Karekin Nzhdeh (1886-1955), a celebrated Armenian nationalist who distinguished himself leading a band of Armenians volunteers alongside the Bulgarians against the Turks in the First Balkan War of 1912 and then went on to lead the Armenian regulars against the Turks and Soviets during 1919-1921. Through his efforts Zangezour stayed Armenian and did not suffer the same fate as Naxçivan. From 1921-1944 Nzhdeh lived in exile in Bulgaria, but, like so many exiles, he was enticed back to his homeland, only to be imprisoned by Stalin until his death. He died in prison in Vladimir and the Soviet authorities rejected his brother’s request that his body should be returned to Armenia. However, in 1983 a group of Armenian intellectuals secretly removed his remains a symbolic portion was interred on the slopes of Mount Khustup while the rest were reburied in Spitakover churchyard, some seven kilometres north of Gladzor, at peace now in an independent Armenia.

We left the main road (A317) shortly before reaching Goris as the next stage of our pilgrimage was to take us to the monastery of Tatev, high up in the thickly wooded mountains. For some ninety minutes we drove on meandering roads which hugged the ridges like the contour lines on a map. As we climbed higher the views became awesome and the abyss, deep down below, daunting. The occasional burnt out chassis, glimpsed fleetingly as we zig-zagged ever onwards and upwards, became unnerving. Manuk drove skilfully, nonchalantly steering round recurring hairpin bends with a rhythmic regularity which revived my latent acrophobia. I sat petrified, pointlessly yet resolutely, gripping the handle above me with ivory knuckles in a sort of premature rigor mortis. After attaining the first summit there was no time for respite before we plummeted down identical roads in a mirror image of the uphill drive, the whole journey being repeated like some fairground roller-coaster. Following the Gorge of the Vorotan river, we eventually arrived at Tatev monastery, and the effort was not a disappointment but, like all good pilgrimages had not been without some exertion.

The fortified monastery had also served as the seat of the bishops of Syunik. It was named after St. Eustathius, one of the LXX disciples, who accompanied the Apostle Thaddeus to Armenia and was martyred here. The original church dates from the fourth century and served a community of hermits. In 844 Bishop David of Syunik persuaded the local princes to grant land and villages as endowments for the monastery and between 895-906 Bishop Ter-Hovhannes built the main church dedicated to Saints Poghos and Petros (Peter and Paul). Bishop Stepanos Orbelian noted that it housed six hundred monks, philosophers “deep as the sea”, able musicians, painters, calligraphers. St. Gregory’s Church was added in 1046 and the surrounding walls. In 1138 an earthquake destroyed Sr. Gregory’s Church and the dome of SS. Petros and Poghos, which were reconstructed by Stepanos Orbelian in 1295. In the 1250s the monastery was restored by Smbat Orbelian. In eleventh century the Tondrakian heretics probably supported the peasantry of Syunik in an insurrection against the monastery. Sacked at the end of the first quarter of fifteenth century by Timurids. The monastery was seriously damaged by an earthquake in 1931.

We parked just outside a solid round tower which stood beside the main entrance. On our right were steps leading up to the little domed Holy Mother of God Church which was added in 1087. The walls were alive with tiny lizards, vigorously going about their business in the afternoon sun.

The large grassed enclosure had stone buildings around every side, through whose cool, dark and deserted chambers one could wander at will. On the east side the drop was sheer and elegant barrel-vaulted chambers framed vistas of breathtaking grandeur. Somewhere beneath, high above the steep wooded slopes, the stillness was broken by the sound of a waterfall crashing into the gorge below. For a more panoramic view we climbed up to the tiles above, where centuries of accumulated neglect had produced a lush and verdant roof-garden.

A huge crane stood beside the main church with its last load of concrete slabs still suspended above the ground, though the rails on which it had once moved back and forth were long since rusted and overgrown. Restoration had started in 1974 but probably ground to a halt in 1998. We later learned from the resident caretaker that the Catholicos had visited only the day before, probably with a potential philanthropist who would complete the reconstruction.

Built against the south wall of SS. Petros and Poghos is a large rectangular stone sarcophagus with a pitched roof. At each end there are two small turban-topped finials, reminiscent of those found on the end of the tombs of Ottoman sultans, whilst in the centre rises a miniature tower surmounted with a cross. The whole is covered in elaborately carvings and khatchkars commemorating priests and bishops. It became clear only later that this structure, which could only be entered from the main church, housed the tomb of S. Grigor of Tatev.

A monument, called ‘Gavazan’ or ‘Rocking Pillar’, which had been erected in 904 in the open, was an unusual combination of Armenian architecture and engineering. It comprised an octahedral pillar, built of small stones, eight metres high and crowned with an ornamented cornice, the whole surmounted by an open-work khatchkar. Its purpose was to warn of seismic tremors, and it is said that even at the mere touch of a hand, the pillar, hinge-coupled to a stylobate, would tilt and then returns to its initial position. Now bound with metal ribs to preserve it from perishing, it can no longer function and may one day fall victim to the very event against which it was intended to warn.

Inside the huge Petros-Poghos Church there were remains still visible of ancient frescoes and the simple marble slab, marking the tomb of St. Grigor where we prayed and lit candles. There were already a few burning when we entered and the approach of a family car just as we were leaving strongly suggested that there is a steady trickle of pilgrims throughout the day. The fairly recent marble floor, which had been laid during an earlier restoration, had no place in the planned future and was now foredoomed, as being neither authentic nor in keeping with the more sensitive renovations currently being undertaken.

Our way to Karabagh meant that we first had to retrace the ninety minute drive to the main road, by which time I had become a more intrepid mountaineer if not blasé about heights. Just outside Goris we stopped for a rest and a meal. In the bend of the trunk road was a dilapidated hut used both as a home and as a wayside restaurant. Behind it, only feet from the passing traffic, was a simple haven of tranquillity: a natural spring, plump chickens mercilessly attacking the grass and a home-made bower, where we consumed freshly barbecued meat and strong coffee. Goris is the first place since leaving the Araratian plain where one can get a mobile phone signal and also the last before entering Karabagh.

Soon after leaving Goris the road noticeably changed and we were now on a sleek modern carriageway gently descending in large circuits as we crossed from Armenia to what had been Azerbaijan only a decade before. This had been paid for by the Armenian diaspora at the cost of $125 million. Yet the border marking our entry into the Republic of Nagorno-Karabagh was little more than a small police checkpoint and we were waved on without any formalities.

The Republic of Mountainous Karabagh’s independence is unrecognised by the international community, its status being akin to the Republic of North Cyprus. In reality, although it retains the semblance of government and statehood, its defence and economy is tied to Armenia, from whom it receives financial and political support.

Under Imperial Russia administrative areas largely followed the ethnic distribution of the population, so that Karabagh formed part of the Elizavetpol Governorate. Following the Russian Revolution and the short-lived Transcaucasian Republic, the newly declared Turkish satellite Republic of Azerbaijan laid claim to Karabagh and Yengezour. At that time Karabagh had a population of 72% Armenians. In the aftermath of the 1915 Genocide, the Armenians of Karabagh naturally preferred to declare their independence, which they did in July 1918. The Azeri response, in September 1918, was for Turkish troops to enter Baku and massacre some 30,000 Armenians as well as destroying hundreds of villages in the governorates of Baku and Elizavetpol (now known variously as Ganja, Gandža, Ganzak and Gəncə). A month later Turkey admitted defeat in the Great War and surrendered to the Allied powers. Britain now became the significant power and offered support to Azerbaijan, which it saw as crucial to its anti-Soviet policy. It firmly supported the Azeri claim to Karabagh and its threats to impose hegemony by force if arms. Unable to resist this, the Congress of the Armenians of Karabagh accepted “to be provisionally within the borders of the Azerbaijani Republic till the final solution of the problem at Peace Conference in Paris.” However, to forestall Azeri occupation, the Armenian population of Karabagh rose in revolt and between March-April 1920 fierce fighting followed and some 20,000 Armenians were slaughtered in Shushi. In 1920 the total population was 60,000 of which 47,000 (over 78%) were Armenians.

Although Karabagh was liberated by Armenia in April 1920, this coincided with the incorporation of Azerbaijan into the Soviet Union, which merely perpetuated the old Azeri territorial claims. To forestall the threat of invasion by combined Russian and Azeri forces, the Armenians of Karabagh declared themselves as Soviet, although a brief uprising declaring an independent Artsakh was fiercely suppressed by the Soviets between January-April 1921. At first it appeared that Russia favoured Karabagh’s incorporation into Armenia but, by July 1921, Stalin had arbitrarily resolved that whilst it should have wide regional autonomy as an oblast it should be incorporated within the Republic of Azerbaijan. Throughout the 1960s there was sustained pressure from Karabagh to be transferred to Armenia but only in 1988 was the pressure for independent resumed through massive protests and public demonstrations. From 1991-1994 a fierce war was fought, leaving an estimated 30,000 dead. Combat ended with a cease-fire but no peace treaty has yet been signed and the two countries are still officially at war.

Since the time of the cease-fire in 1994, one fifth of Azerbaijan is still ‘occupied’ by Karabagh or, as Eduard and Manuk corrected me, ‘liberated’ territories. One of these is the Lachin corridor, down which we had just driven, previously a pass in the Karabagh Mountain range, where the Azeri territory formed a narrow bottleneck between Armenia and Karabagh. It is now no longer an “umbilical cord” linking the two territories but a new province of Kashatagh, stretching to the Araks river (on the borders of Iran) in the south to the Murovdag mountains in the north, comprising some 2,000 square metres, all of which has been resettled by Armenians, who now number 12,000.

At Lachin (renamed Berdzor), a town sprawling over the hillside as the road climbed up the valley, we saw the shells of a few homes destroyed in the war, but the population (which now number 5,000) looked tranquil and relaxed strolling about in the early evening. A new church, built in traditional style, sits on the edge of the valley and offered a peaceful view across this hotly disputed track of land.

From here we drove a further thirty kilometres to Shushi, by which time it was already dark. The episcopal residence is across the road to the west of the Cathedral and we were warmly received by Archbishop Pargev Martirossian of Artsakh. He was born in Sumgait, just north of Baku, which is the third largest city in Azerbaijan, and studied at Etchmiadzin and Leningrad before his consecration to the episcopate in November 1988 and appointment to the diocese of Karabagh in 1989. The Communists had suppressed the diocese of Karabagh in 1930 and arrested Bishop Vrtanes, who was exiled and imprisoned. Thereafter Karabagh had no bishop, although there was a centre based in Baku, until 25 December 1989 when Azeri extremists burned down its Armenian Church. Bishop Parkev, accompanied by three priests, established himself in Stepanakert which, being a Soviet city, had no churches at all. He was unable to move to Shushi into its liberation in 1994. Inevitably he played a hugely significant rôle in the conflict, which earned him the respect and affection of the people of Karabagh. In 1989 there were no Armenian churches functioning in Karabagh, whereas today there are twenty-two. Although aged only forty-nine, the strain of the past momentous decade and a half are reflected in his grey beard, the deep lines of his face and the fact that in 2001 he underwent a triple heart bypass. His manner is gracious and modest, yet his speech is vigorous whilst his eyes twinkle with intelligence and good humour. He speaks good English, which markedly improved with practice, and jokes that he learnt his first words from listening to the Beatles’ lyrics in his youth. Among his latest enterprises is Vanakan Mineral Water, whose label declared discretely, in both English and Armenian, that it came with the blessing of Bishop Parkev. It tasted good, although much of the effervescence seemed to escape on opening.

That night we were accommodated in the comfortable Shushi Hotel, a twelve-roomed enterprise recently built by eight Armenians and one Lebanese at the cost of $160,000.

In the morning, when I wandered out on my balcony overlooking Shushi’s Cathedral, glistening white in the early morning sunshine, and the incipient garden which covered what looked like the foundations of bombed buildings, it was a tranquil scene. Below me some men were engaged in not very pressing repairs on an ancient car whilst an elderly man was weeding the front garden of the hotel. In the distance, through the cool morning haze, the green hills of Karabagh towered over the horizon. Over breakfast with Bishop Pargev we talked about the state of the church in Karabagh. The impressive Amenaprkich Ghazanchetsots Cathedral, although built between 1868-1887 suffered heavily at the hands of the Azeris. In the 1940s it was used as a granary and by the 1950s much of the exterior dressed stone had been removed to use elsewhere, the impressive pointed top to the cathedral dome had been decapitated and high apartment blocks erected all around to begun to conceal the cathedral from sight. In the 1970s explosives were placed in the foundations of the massive pillars but failed to bring down the vault. The structure was neglected and ruinous and during Karabagh’s war of liberation it was used as a depot for thousands of Grad missiles, knowing well that the Armenians would never attack the cathedral. These were used to rain down some fifteen thousand rockets and missiles in the bombardment of Stepanakert, vulnerable in the valley below. Other churches and cemeteries in Shushi and around were systematically vandalised or destroyed.

Eduard stayed behind to discuss his research with Bishop Parkev, and we set off again in our faithful Lada. As we left Shushi the marks of war were clearly visible. Shushi was in fact the last Azeri stronghold to fall on 9 May 1994 and its capture marked the cease-fire. A few doors from the bishop’s house there are the ruined shells of houses, whilst half-occupied blocks of flats show the marks of war. After 1920 the Azeri population of Shushi steadily outnumbered the Armenians, who comprised only two thousand out of seventeen thousand before Karabagh’s liberation. After 1994 the population was exclusively Armenians and numbered five and a half thousand but now, because of lack of employment, there are little more than 3,000 people.

Stepanakert, the republic’s capital, is a pleasant, clean, well-ordered city with broad tree-lined streets. Fighting here was fierce but all obvious signs of destruction have been removed and the atmosphere is calm and relaxed. We had driven down from Shushi on good roads but as we neared the northern outskirts of the capital the road suddenly became a building site. Hardcore had been laid and lorries and machinery were everywhere engaged in work on the next stretch but the road ended abruptly. It was actually being constructed as we watched ! However, unlike British sites, cars were permitted to drive on the unmade road. Our progress now slowed down rapidly as we manoeuvred across the rutted surface whilst simultaneously trying to keep our distance from large trucks going about their lawful business. As we drove on, the activity became less, then ceased completely and the road reverted to a wide dirt track running north alongside a deserted railway line, which had once served both Azerbaijan and Karabagh. At Aghdam, occupied by Armenia since July 1993, two roads headed towards Azerbaijan but we stayed close inside the present border on the road to heading to Martakert.

This borderland showed the extent of the destruction wreaked by war. Ruined portions of walls stood starkly where once entire villages had been, the whole revealing a desolate and sombre landscape. In places even the encroaching vegetation had been burned and the earth was parched and blackened. To the sides faded signs warned us that we should not stray from the road as the areas were still mined, though one notice declared that it had been cleared by the Halo Trust, though this unimpeachable charity has been stigmatised as an enemy of the state by Azebaijan for “supporting” Karabagh.

The region of Martakert was the scene of a successful Azeri offensive in the summer of 1992, which resulted in the occupation of over 80% of its territory, triggering the flight of the Armenian population. However, a successful Armenian counter-offensive in February 1993 reversed the situation, culminating in the liberation in June the same year of the town of Martakert. It was not until after the cease-fire that refugees began to return to their homes but six out of the district’s sixty towns and villages remain under Azeri control. We stopped at one of the many ramshackle wooden shops which lined the road here. The enterprising locals made no attempt at specialisation, one shop offering tin foods and female fashions, whilst another appeared to be purveying outsize water melons and spare car parts. We bought some bottled water and ice lollies. Whilst we sheltered in the meagre shade of a couple of small trees and hastily consumed these rapidly melting refreshments, an overweight army officer pulled into the shop with his car radio pumping out what Manuk disparagingly referred to as Turkish belly-dance music, something which no self-respecting Armenian should tolerate.

From here we followed a steadily deteriorating track to the west, leaving the war-torn desolation and driving through beautiful rural scenery with the Mrav mountains in the distance to the north. Descending from the hills we reached the Sarsang Reservoir before travelling alongside the steady flowing Tatar river, which fed it. At that point a wide flood plain showed a complete absence of human habitation. The car bumped its way bravely until it came to a sudden halt where the track disappeared into an impassable slough some thirty feet across. It hardly seemed possible that we had gone so far only to reach a dead end. One could easily navigate the obstruction on foot but as the terrain sloped down to the river on our right, and an embankment of rock loomed up on the left, it seemed unavoidable. As we were pondering the problem a pair of local rustics appeared from nowhere. Relieved, Manuk hailed them and asked their advice, though their reply didn’t seem to impress him. It appeared that their accents were so thick that their response was barely intelligible whilst Manuk’s metropolitan Armenian was probably just as unfamiliar to them! However, the gist of their advice was to drive straight through it. None of us was convinced that this was sound counsel, especially as stones cast into the murky water seemed to sink a long way down. Just at that moment I spotted a distant lorry lumbering along in our direction. As it would be faced with the same problem we would see how they would resolve matters. When it got nearer, however, it temporarily vanished from view among the trees only to reappear on what must have been a parallel road on a higher level. Manuk enquired again of our rustics about this road, but they shook their heads sagely, warning that the higher road was worse than ours and that we would still be better to drive on. Unconvinced, we returned to the car, reversed with some difficulty and then retraced our way to where the higher path joined our road, all the while being watched suspiciously by our yokels, who appeared to view us as mildly unhinged. As we continued our journey on this road Manuk uncharitably suggested that too much inbreeding had doubtless affected their intellects, whilst I surmised that they might be a species of local wrecker, whose livelihood probably depended on the misfortunes of unwary and too trusting travellers.

The next stop on our pilgrimage was Dadivank, sometimes called Khutavank (‘monastery upon-the-hill), situated on the edge of a steep gorge amidst heavily wooded hills, on the left bank of the Tartar (Trtu) river. Before liberation it stood on the very edge of Mountainous Karabagh, overlooking Azeri territory. Traditionally founded at the end of the first century by the martyr, St. Dadi, another disciple of St. Thaddeus Dadivank was first mentioned in mediaeval chronicles in the 9th century. The monastic complex of Dadivank consists of the Memorial Cathedral (Katoghiké), Church of the Holy Virgin, Chapel, Memorial Bell-Tower and several auxiliary buildings.

The Katoghiké was erected in 1214 by the Queen Arzou of Haterk and Upper Khachen.. The interior walls are richly decorated with frescoes. Part of a large inscription in Armenian, which covers the entire entrance wall of the Cathedral proclaims: “I, Arzou-Khatoun, obedient servant of Christ … wife of King Vakhtang, ruler of Haterk and all Upper Khachen, with great hopes built this holy cathedral on the place where my husband and sons rest in peace … My first-born Hassan martyred for his Christian faith in the war against the Turks, and, three years later, my younger son Grigoris also joined Christ … Completed in the year 663 of the Armenian calendar.” The external southern wall depicts princes Hassan and Grigoris holding up the church in carved relief, whilst St. Dadi and King Vakhtang appear in the same posture on the eastern wall. These princely families, with Arabic or Persian names (such as Hassan, Abas or Abulgharib), vividly illustrate the problem of living for generations under Persian influence.

Dadivank Monastery was reconsecrated in 1994 and since 1997 architectural restoration has made good progress. A group of architects were working in the Katoghiké plotting in detail the khatchkars set into the wall as well as all other ancient epigraphy, but generations of neglect has taken its toll and a much will still be needed to restore this historic monastery to its former glory. We encountered a group of Armenian tourists, one of whom – a rather assertive young lady with passable English – launched into an unsolicited guided tour and explanation of Armenian Church history. When I thanked her, she asked if we were Protestants. I explained that we were British and Orthodox but she was unconvinced, declaring authoritatively that all British were Protestants ! Later we sat at an old trestle table and drank some of the clear spring water which flowed freely from a nearby standpipe. Manuk chatted to the old caretaker and his wife about the problems of living on the border during the war. They admitted that the Azeris had looked after the site quite well and that their biggest problem had come from secular Armenians who didn’t treat the site with the respect it deserved. When the old man learned that we were heading for Gandzasar he asked to come with us as his wages were months in arrears and he needed to collect them !

The road to Gandzasar was probably the worst we encountered in our whole journey. My respect for the much denigrated ‘Lada’ had grown enormously as, in spite of Manuk’s careful manoeuvring around enormous pot holes with jagged edges, we heard horrible grindings from our exhaust pipe. Yet everything remained intact and reliable throughout. We lurched about until I resembled the toy dog with a bobbing head, once so ubiquitously displayed in the rear car windows of proletarian motorists. It was the sort of test drive car manufacturers show you in advertisements to prove the road-worthiness of their vehicles.

Another feature we encountered with increasing frequency were the khaki shells of burnt-out tanks at the side of major roads. At one junction we counted nine piled together, a potent reminder of the fierceness of the fighting in this area and of the human sacrifice to liberate it.

As the light began to fail we came to the village of Vank, above which towered the monastery of Gandzasar. A narrow road encircled the mountain and we drove upwards in a protracted irregular spiral until we reached the crest. Surrounded by low walls and outbuildings, the mighty stone church dominated the flat summit. We were greeted by Father Hovhannes, whom we had met briefly at Shoushi last night, whose vitality energised his great frame as he began our tour of the site. The late afternoon sun not only revealed the mellow golden pigmentation of the stone, but also accentuated the numerous and lavish architectural features in sharp contrasts of darkness and light.

A monastery stood here in the 10 th century, which also served as a mausoleum for the rulers of Khachen. The church of St. John the Baptist was built by Prince Asan-Jalal of Khokhanaberd, founder of Artsakh’s Jalalian dynasty who emerged as the most powerful Armenian feudal ruler in Eastern Armenia. Constructed between 1216-1238, it was consecrated in 1240, to house the head of the John the Baptist (St. Hovannes Mkrtich). The 13th century Armenian author, Kirakos Gandzaketsi, himself a native of Artsakh, attributes the gavit to Mamkan, Hasan’s wife (the inscription on the masonry runs: ‘Mamkan, Hasan and their son Atabeg’). The church’s architecture is based on a cross-cupola composition developed in the 10th century.

The name ‘Gandzasar’ is translated from Armenian as “treasure-mountain” (gandz=treasuresar=mountain) and there can be little doubt that the monastery is a treasure both architecturally and historically. It has also been hailed as “the encyclopædia of Armenian architecture” by the Russian scholar, A.L. Yakobson, whilst according to Professor Charles Diehl of Sorbonne, the prominent French art historian and Byzantine specialist Gandzasar is the third most important artifact of Armenian monastic architecture on the list of world architectural masterpieces.

The central Cathedral is masterly embellished with bas-reliefs depicting the Crucifixion, Adam and Eve and dozens of other stone figures, including the sculptures of the princes of Khachen holding two models of the Cathedral above their heads. According to an inscription on the wall of the Cathedral, it was completed in the year 1238. Overall, up to 150 Armenian stone-borne texts are found on the walls of the Cathedral, including a wall-large inscription made by the order of Hasan-Jalal himself.

In the thirteenth century Gandzasar became the seat of the little known Armenian Catholicosate of Aghvank or Caucasian Albania, (an independent kingdom northeast of Armenia and east of Iberia between the River Kur, the Caspian Sea and the Caucasus range) which had been established by St. Gregory the Illuminator. The Catholicosate of Aghvank or Gandzasar was a branch of the Armenian Apostolic Church and had a succession of catholicoi which survived until Artsakh was freed from Persian rule and taken under the control of Russia in 1813. The Jalalyan malikate, which had survived alongside the catholicosate, was now abolished. Two years later the Catholicos Sarkis II was reduced to the status of a Metropolitan by the Imperial Russian government. The tombs of the Jalalyan princes and the Aghvank catholicoi lie together in the glorious gavit, both awaiting the Day of Resurrection.

During the war for the liberation of Nagorno-Karabagh, especially 1991-1992, Gandzasar became a symbol of Armenian resistance and Archbishop Pargev was called ‘Ghevond erets (priest)’ who was the spiritual leader of the rebellion of the Armenian people headed by the national hero St. Vardan Mamikonyan in 451. Along with Archbishop Pargev was also Ter-Grigor Markosyan who was acting priest in fighting regiments (in Shahumyan region and near Shushi). Before battles they were baptising those fighters who had not been baptised. If it was needed, the priests were defending their native land by joining fighting regiments.

Aerial attacks, aimed specifically at destroying the monastery, came close to being successful, but – providentially – failed. Today the bullet and shell marks are potent testimony to Azeri aggression. Father Hovhannes himself had served in the war of liberation and was able to recount these events as a participant.

Against the low stone parapet, which encircles the monastery, dozens of finely carved stone khatchkars stand propped, memorials to the long history of this holy site. The enclosed space to the north of the church has a well manicured lawn and a few small hawthorn trees with branches shaped by the strong winter winds. On a vacant space behind the old monastic cells a new seminary was partially built and gave promise of the renewed vitality of the church in Artsakh. The cell and reception room of the Catholicos of Aghvank are still preserved to remind us of its former glory. As the darkness fell we dined together in a small vaulted refectory, everything was fresh and delicious: the honeycomb and buffalo yoghurt were especially toothsome! Father Hovhannes served us but didn’t eat as he had begun his eucharistic fast at sunset, which made it much longer than the nine hours we observe.

We were each allocated one of the ancient monastic cells in the block running along one side of the ‘Cathedral close.’ These were single rooms, each with a tiny window high in the wall to enable one to view the cross on the roof of the church whilst in bed. To reach the bathroom one had to cross the silent ‘close’ with the moon and stars as sole illumination. Later, when we were back in Istanbul, I made passing mention of this to Patriarch Mesrob. He recalled that when he had recently officiated at a vigil service at Gandzasar he had thought to have a short nap in one of these cells shortly before dawn. Unable to sleep, he had wandered out into the ‘close’ but was surprised to see someone’s silhouette beside the church. Thinking this was another pilgrim he strolled towards him only to discover, as he turned, that he was face to face with a wild bear. Petrified with astonishment, the Patriarch stared at his grizzly companion, while the bear possibly contemplated its breakfast. Providentially it too was fasting and, after some minutes of silent contemplation, with only a casual shrug of the shoulders, it turned and ambled off into the dark.

The next morning, having been spared any close encounters of the ursine kind, Father Simon and I recited the 3 rd and 6 th hours from the Agbeya in the church before taking our leave of Father Hovhannes and setting off on our return journey to Soushi.

We arrived in time for the Divine Liturgy, which the Archbishop had kindly rescheduled for 10 a.m. to facilitate our journeying back to the Republic of Armenia. The Cathedral is light and cool and the clergy processed unpretentiously across the road from the archbishopric, winding our way through the archway in the impressive campanile. The congregation numbered about sixty but included many young people, which was encouraging. In addition there was an able choir of about a dozen women and girls, all correctly robed and veiled, as well as some ten vested servers who assisted the priest and deacon with military precision. It was a profoundly moving Liturgy and as the bright morning sunshine poured through the sanctuary windows one realised the deep faith which had inspired those who had fought to keep this place Christian when it came so close to being lost for ever.

After the Liturgy Archbishop Pargev took us down to a large, cavernous room beneath the sanctuary, where those who intend to communicate first gather to receive a general absolution from the priest. The acoustics here are so fine that when standing at a specific central spot and looking upwards, the priest can be heard distinctly by all without having to raise his voice in the slightest.

Our short pilgrimage to Artsakh had provided an insight into the core of Armenian Church life which is profoundly necessary to one’s understanding of this ancient and proud Christian people. We would not forget it.

ABBA SERAPHIM

The Glastonbury Review, No. 109 (December 2003).

[1] Naxçivan was an oblast, or autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic, but in 1990 was the first republic to declare its independence and secede from the USSR. However, its geographical isolation led it to join Azerbaijan only weeks later with the status of an autonomous republic. There is a 10 kilometre stretch of border with Turkey along the Arax (Erashk) river at Sadarak, which was opened by the construction of the Umad Kürpüsü (Bridge of Hope) and provides a vital link with Turkey.


İçindekiler

The origin and meaning of the island's name is unknown, but is often attributed to an old Armenian legend. According to the tale, an Armenian princess named Tamar lived on the island and was in love with a commoner. This boy would swim from the mainland to the island each night, guided by a light she lit for him. Her father learned of the boy's visits. One night, as she waited for her lover to arrive, he smashed her light, leaving the boy in the middle of the lake without a guide to indicate which direction to swim. They say his dying cries of "Akh, Tamar" (Oh, Tamar) can be heard to this day at night. The legend was the inspiration for a famous Armenian poem by Hovhannes Tumanyan.

Akdamar (meaning "white vein" in Turkish) is the official name of the island, but the original "Akhtamar" pronunciation is still used by many of the Kurds who live in the area (there is no "kh" sound in Turkish, but there is in Kurdish).


Travel in Argentina: Visit Plaza Armenia, Buenos Aires

If you visit Buenos Aires when you travel in Argentina, you’ll quickly realise that this is a city made up of many pleasant plazas. These pleasant squares are speckled around the city, and are perfect places to relax, read the paper, drink a coffee and watch the world go by.

If you head to Palermo, the coolest neighbourhood by far, you’ll realise that this area is quite different from much of the city. Things seem more peaceful, the crowds are trendier, the streets are somehow cleaner. There are a number of plazas in Palermo, and the one that is always recommended first when you travel in Argentina is Plaza Cortaza.

However, pleasant as Plaza Cortaza may be, you shouldn’t pass up the opportunity to visit Plaza Armenia as well.

Situated where the two streets Armenia and Costa Rica join together, this small and attractive square is the perfect place to visit during the week when you travel in Argentina, when all you’ll find are a few locals enjoying the peace and quiet.

If you’re a fan of people watching then this is the ideal place to stop by and engage in this favourite past time, as you can sit back and watch Argentinian daily life play out in front of you.

If you don’t fancy sitting in the plaza itself, head to one of the bars or cafes around the edges. Many of these have roof terraces from which you can sit with a beer and watch the world go by below.

Head to Plaza Armenia on the weekend, however, and things are quite different. This is a hotspot for residents of Palermo, and if the sun is shining you can bet that the square will crowd out as everyone has the same idea.

A busy market selling homemade arts and crafts springs up out of nowhere, the atmosphere becomes more intense, and you’ll be lucky to find a seat in any of the cafes, let alone on one of the terraces.

In the near vicinity, you can also take a stroll down Armenia to enjoy some of the Armenian culture of Buenos Aires. There are a number of Armenian restaurants, so if you’ve had enough steak during your time in Buenos Aires then this could be a good antidote.

Definitely take the time to visit Plaza Armenia the next time you travel in Argentina. It’s nothing sensational, but for a good place to enjoy watching the locals in a pleasant, authentic setting then it can’t be beaten.


Floorplan

1. a 10th century church
2. the main temple of St. Astvatsatsin, 1204
3. a rotund church of 1198
4. a chapel of the 12th-13th centuries
5. a gavit, before 1207
6. a communion bread bakery of the 13th century
7. service premises of the 11th-13th centuries
8. the main entrance of the 11th-12 centuries
9. remnants of a fence
10. a spring well of the 12th-13th centuries


Videoyu izle: Ermeni Apostolik Kilisesinde Aziz Stefanos Yortusu Kutlandı. (Mayıs Ayı 2022).